Everytime I make Chole, I always boil some extra chickpeas to make an evening snack (called ‘chaat’ in India) out of them. This evening, I decided to make a quick and easy kid friendly Chole chat with just 5 basic ingredients.
- 1 cup Boiled Chickpeas or Garbanzo beans
- 1 diced Tomato
- 1/2 and Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 a tsp of Black Salt (can use regular salt as well)
- Lemon juice as per your taste
- Fresh Cilantro leaves, finely chopped to garnish
To the boiled chickpeas, add the chopped onion, tomato and cilantro. Add the black salt and lemon juice and mix the ingredients and your Chickpea salad is ready to be served.
Here is a spicier and tangy version for people who like some extra flavor. Although they are all optional ingredients, they will certainly add more flavor to your dish.
- Add some finely chopped Green chilies
- 1/2 a tsp of Cumin power
- 1/2 a tsp of Chaat Masala (can be found at an Indian grocery store)
- 2 tbsp of fresh Pomegranate seeds, if available.
This is my personal favorite snack to keep away from all the hunger pangs. I am sure there are lots of different versions of this Salad or Chaat. I would love to hear what’s your favorite chickpea recipe.