So we are traveling this coming weekend. Our first long road trip in the last 2 years. I can already imagine all the nibbling, through out the way. I am trying to make sure that I pack enough healthy options for the family. So this morning I tried Melanie’s recipe of the no-bake cereal bar. Although in her recipe she used MnM’s, my option for the treat was mini chocolate chips. Trust me, the cereal bars turned out to be really yummy and the consistency was perfect. A had a hearty breakfast this morning.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup organic brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups Honey Nut Cheerios Medley Crunch (Try using any unsweetened cereal rather than honey coated, as it could turn out to be a little too sweet)
- 1 cup assorted raisins, nuts or treat (I used mini chocolate chips)
- Pinch of Kosher Salt (optional)
- Cover an 8 inch dish with aluminium foil and grease it with butter or oil.
- In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, add the butter, honey and brown sugar to make a caramel. Heat it on high for 1 minute to melt.
- Stop to stir the grainy mixture.
- Return the bowl back into the microwave and to heat it on high for a minute. Stop to stir again
- Return the bowl back into the microwave for the last time, to it on high for a minute.
- After the third time, the mixture will be boiling hot and bubbly. The caramel is now ready.
- Add the vanilla essence and stir the caramel.
- Mix the cereal, raisins, assorted nuts and chocolate chips and stir them thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture into your dish and press it firmly with a spatula wile packing it down.
- If incase the the mixture tastes too sweet, add a pinch of kosher salt to cut the sweetness. If you have used unsweetened cereal, you might not need to do so.
- Allow the mixture to cool down if still warm and cover it with a aluminium foil.
- Let the mixture set in the refrigerator for about 2-3 hours.
- Once the mixture is set slice the bars into the desired proportion.
- If the cereal you are using is already sweetened, try skipping the raisins and the treat option and rather use nuts.