The other day, as I was scrolling through my Facebook feeds, I saw a picture of Broccoli Biscuits.I instantly knew I am soon going to try this recipe, cos A loves anything and everything that has Broccoli in it. As I opened my fridge, t get the broccoli, I saw the beetroot and carrot lying in my refrigerator. I instantly knew I was going to use these ingredients for my biscuits. As I grated my veggies and started kneading the dough, the lovely pink color made me think of Valentine’s hearts. I was thinking to myself that, these biscuits could be a good way to shower some love at my husband since he doesn’t have a sweet tooth like me. It’s then I got out my heart shaped cookie cutters and started making my little hearts.
- 1/4 cup grated broccoli
- 1/8 cup grated carrots
- 1/8 cup grated beetroot
- 1 cup flour of your choice
- ¼ cup yogurt
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tsp soda bicarbonate (raising agent)
- Salt to taste
- Finely grate the beetroot, carrots and broccoli.
- Knead the dough – In a large mixing bowl add the flour, grated vegetables, soda bicarbonate and butter. Knead it into dough using the yogurt. Taste the dough, add salt only is required.
- On a piece of parchment paper, roll the dough flat with a pinwheel.
- Cut out your favorite shapes using cookie cutters and spread them on parchment paper, ready to be baked.
- Preheat oven at 350F and bake the batch for about 15-20 minutes until a toothpick comes clean.
My 2.5 yr old, loved these homemade little veggie hearts.
As the beetroot will turn the dough into pink color, please don’t wait for the biscuits to turn golden brown. The biscuits will be baked well before that.