My love for street food, makes me want to try almost every high calorie snack / appetizer on my appe pan. So here I am yet again, sharing how to make Batata Vada / Aloo bonda in an appe pan. Since it has a batter coating, most people wonder how can you make it in an appe pan. So here is my step by step recipe for the famous Batata Vada / Aloo bonda.
What I love about this version of batata vada / Aloo bonda is that, typically they are fried and can be very high in calories thanks to the potatoes and the cooking method. This version is for people like you and me, who are always looking for healthy no fry recipes & low in calories.
- For the stuffing
- 3 medium potatoes, boiled & peeled
- 5-6 curry leaves, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds / rai
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric / haldi
- 5-6 garlic pods
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped / as per taste.
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped / dhaniya
- 1 lemon, juice
- For the batter
- 2 cups chickpea flour / besan
- 1/2 tsp cumin / zeera
- 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- For the stuffing
- Mash the boiled potatoes.
- In a chopper, prepare a green mixture of chop green chilies, garlic and cilantro. Make sure they are chopped finely.
- Prepare the potato stuffing in a wok or a pan. Heat the utensil, add 1 tsp oil. for tempering add mustard seeds, turmeric, and green mixture.Add lemon juice and salt and mix the ingredients thoroughly.
To this mixture add the mashed potatoes and again mix thoroughly.Let the potato stuffing cool for a few minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the batter. Add 1/2 cup water to besan, salt, cumin to make it a thick batter
- Now make equal portions of the potato stuffing. Roll them each into the shape of a ball.
- Heat the appe pan with a few drops of oil in each cavity.
Add a small amount of batter into each cavity, just enough to make a scoop like cavity. Sorry I realize the picture is over exposed and will replace it with a better picture soon, I promise.
Place the potato stuffing into each cavity.
- Top off the cavity again with the batter, making sure the entire potato stuffing is covered.
- Cook for approx. 4-5 minutes on each side on slow – medium heat.
Serve them with either pav / bread or mini dinner rolls as mini sliders with green chutney, garlic chutney or sweet tamarind chutney or even ketchup.
- If you liked this recipe and need some ideas and inspiration to enjoy guilt-free cooking, check out our most popular post on the blog : 30 Appe Pan Recipes, Tips & Video . If you would like to buy the Appe pan, we recommend buying the Tabakh brand from Amazon.