My mom always fasts for the 9 days of navarati and I have always seen her eat regular fasting food made with sabodana / tapioca, aloo/ potatoes, and singada / water chestnuts. As a kid, I would always wonder how my mom could eat food with so little flavor. So this Navratri, I planned to prepare some traditional dishes with a twist of my own to make fasting food more enticing. I will be preparing these dishes and posting it for her and for others who follow and observe the navrati fasts. These dishes can be made quickly, are delicious and healthy too. The best part is you don’t have to fast to relish these dishes, people like me enjoy them even without observing fasts. I am relishing these No Fry Fasting Dahi Vade as I write this post.
- 1/2 cup soaked Sabodana/tapioca
- 2 boiled potatoes / aloo, mashed
- 1 tbsp paste / chutney of roasted cumin ,few green chillies & cilantro
- 500 grams yogurt.
- Rock salt / sendha namak to taste
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar (optional)