Who doesn’t love soup? It’s usually cooked in one pot, it does not take much time and above all less mess in the kitchen and hence less cleanup ;)
When we were kids,we were told that Brinjal / Eggplant / baigan is “THE KING” of vegetables, however when we think of eggplant we immediately think of baigan ka bharta /baigan aloo/ stuffed baigan.
Now lets imagine Roasted eggplant and tomato soup…. sounds interesting??? I was excited too when I learnt about it from a very dear friend of mine Manpreet Chopra. She had tasted it at one of her relatives place during her recent trip to California. I decided to ask my mom about it and she gave me the direction on how to make it .Thanks MA!!
So let’s treat this King of Vegetables Royally :). I prepared this soup by using seasoned and char grilled Eggplant/Brinjal , combined with tomato water and other seasonings to give you a tasty soup. Roasting the tomatoes and eggplant deepens the flavor of this vegetarian soup.I served it with a blob of thick curd /sour cream
- Eggplant or Brinjal, is a very low calorie vegetable and has healthy nutrition profile; good news for weight watchers!
- Eggplant has a low caloric density and can help you control your weight — each cup of eggplant with the skin contains only 35 calories.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium to large eggplant /roasted
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5-6 garlic pods, roasted
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 onion, roasted
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 green chili
- 3 cups water
- 1 big tomatoes roasted ( increase the tomatoes by 4 if you dnt want to use tomato paste)
- salt to taste
- Curd while serving
preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2 :Season eggplant,onion, tomatoes,green chili and garlic with salt and pepper, Drizzle the veggies with olive oil
3: Roast the veggies until very tender, 20 minutes.
5:Heat 2 tsp olive oil, in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the roasted onions,garlic and the tomato and stir 1 minute more.
7:Then add the tomato paste and the water
8:Scrape the eggplant away from skin and add the flesh, stir it well.
9:Puree the soup with an immersion blender. Simmer to thicken.serve it with curd/ sour cream.enjoy this amazing soup !!