I have realized that, not a lot of people enjoy beets. I must confess, I was one of them too. If the deep purple color and the long cooking times, deter you from cooking Beets. This easy way of cooking beets, will help you prepare them in under 10 minutes. This preparation can be consumed as a side dish or as a stuffing for flatbreads / parathas. My MIL introduced me to this preperation and I must admit it has been rotating on our menu very often. My hubby (Dr. Mystery) and I like it as is, however our 2.5 yr old, relishes it either as a stuffing in his parathas (flatbread) or sometimes even as it. It’s sweet and sour taste is delectable. Give it a try, I am sure you will enjoy this.
- 1 cup finely grated / chopped beets
- 2 tsp oil (sorry the oil is missing in the picture)
- 1 tsp coarse cumin / zeera powder
- 5 curry leaves
- salt to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- Thoroughly wash, peel and grate the beet. I personally prefer grated beets to chopped (in a chopper) beets for this preparation, however you can chose whatever suits you best. Collect the excess juice while grating or chopping the beets, it can be either consumed as it or blend it with your favorite fruit (fresh) juice.
- Heat a couple tsps of oil in pan, add cumin and curry leaves and wait for them to crackle.
- Once you hear the crackle, add the beets and salt. Allow it to cook for about 3-5 minutes on medium flame.
- Once cooked, drizzle some freshly squeezed lemon juice over it and it is ready to be consumed either as a side dish or for your flatbread (paratha) stuffing.
- Simple and easy isn’t it.