A quick and easy Eggplant stir fry flavored with garlic, ginger, green onions, Bell peppers, Onions, sesame, and a bit of spice.
This recipe makes a great appetizer or in dinner with fried rice or a light lunch like me and R1 used some lettuce to make Eggplant lettuce wraps :D . Basic ingredients make this recipe a quick on to stir-fry together in less than 15 minutes. The recipe can be tweaked for your taste, liking and enjoyment , add in mushrooms, tofu…..
FUN FACT ABOUT EGGPLANT Native of India, eggplants are actually related to tomatoes and potatoes (and tobacco too) ;) , as part of the nightshade family. Another surprise to me, botanically speaking, eggplants are berries! I would never have guessed. When raw, eggplant tastes bitter, but once cooked, it develops a rich and complex, but not overpowering flavor. In fact, eggplant absorbs large amounts of sauce, allowing it to take on many flavors.
- 2 eggplant, cut into thick sticks
- 1 small onion/sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper/ sliced
- small piece of ginger/ julienne
- 5 cloves garlic/chopped
- green chilli according to you taste buds
- 2 star anise
- 1/2 tbsp Fennel seed/sauf
- 1Tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 Tsp rice vinegar/vinegar
- 1 Tsp siraca sauce
- 1 Tsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Ketchup
- Roasted Peanuts / For garnish/ optional
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted /for garnish/optional
- Lettuce if making Lettuce wraps
- Heat a pan, put in oil, add Star anise ,fennel seeds and garlic ,saute it for few seconds then add in the eggplant and green chillies.
- Add in the onions and bell peppers, and stir fry briefly, until fragrant.
- Add in stir fry sauce .
- Stir it well.