R2 (My 8 year old) was born in the US, however we moved back to India when he was 2 months old. He stayed in India for around 3.5 years and has attended school there. He was very energetic about India’s independence day and he used to love singing the national anthem. This year, for some reason he remembered the Independence day and has been asking me a lot of questions about it. I have tried my level best to answer his questions and to help him get a bit closer to India as well. We planned a Independence day theme around it for cooking items that could be tri-colored…. like Biryani, parathas,pasta etc… While these were instant hits with the kids, we thought of taking this a notch higher than our own expectations… and now we feel we have the right recipes in place for India’s 68th Independence day…. Let the countdown begin…
While this will put a smile on just about anyone’s face, it’s not just for adults. This is a big hit with the kiddos too!
The count down to the 15th August is on and Me and my kids are always super excited for this holiday!!
It was such a fun for R2 and R3 ,this was the first time my 8 year old helped me while baking 🙂
while R3 could not wait till the cookies cool down ..
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup clarified butter/ghee or/oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup almond powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- vanilla essence or cardamon powder /optional
- Food coloring green and orange /we used this brand click herehttp://www.naturalcandystore.com/product/green-natural-food-color/
- Melt clarified butter
- Sift all pourpose flour,whole wheat flour,almond powder and soda in a mixing bowl. Add in sugar.
- Now combine clarified butter and flour mixture and forms into soft dough.
- Divide the dough into three equal parts. Add respective food coloring to the dough and knead well for 5 minutes.
- add in some of each color and combine into one small ball, this will produce a marbled effect.
- Repeat with rest of the dough.
- Arrange them in the tray with 2 inches apart.
- Pinch dough into 1/2 in ball and flatten slightly, Place balls into baking sheet 1 in apart. Preheat oven 360* F.
- Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated oven. The color will remain the same after baking but the bottom is light brown in color..
- Gently remove onto rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.