Almost everyone has almonds in their pantry. Its one of the most beneficial nuts that are rich in vitamin E, calcium, magnesium and potassium. Additionally, almonds are a significant source of protein and fiber, while being naturally low in sugar.
I remember that my mom used to soak almonds and give it to me and my brother when we were kids. Till DATE :) she does the same thing whenever she visits us in the US and gives it to all of us (SR3).
Whenever I am talking to her on the phone and I forget to something I wanted to say to her… usually due to missing out my chain of thought, I get to hear this from her … “Kitni bar bola hai .. badam bhigo kar subhe khaya kar aur baccho ko bhi de” .. which translates to ” How many times do I need to remind you to soak almonds at night, peel them and have them in the morning” and :P still I forget to do so :D
I make these Simple Energy Snack Squares frequently and keep them handy for my R2 and R3 to enjoy and relis. R2 and R3 consider these as treats and enjoy it more than unhealthy junk food. Also they are the perfect healthy treat to have when you are watching what you are eating!
Easy, nutritious and much less expensive than the store bought bars.
Still wondering the reason behind soaking, peeling and drying of the nuts??
Raw almonds have a protective coating on them making them potentially disruptive to the our digestive system. Soaking and drying helps make them more digestible.
- 1 cup raw almonds /soaked /peeled
- 1&1/2 cups Organic Dates/pitted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract/Optional
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut/Dessicated/Unsweetened
- Place all the ingredients into food processor .
- Blend until they are crushed and slightly sticky. It will become a sticky lump with most of it stuck together when you will press it with your hand.
- Remove it in a plate , press it till it forms a square .keep it in the fridge for an hour, cut in in small square.
- Keep it in a air tight container. It can last for a month if kept in refrigerator.
- Note: Dry the peeled almonds for few hours or over night to get good texture and taste.
You can wrap each one individually in wax paper for putting in lunch for your family. You can use a cute sticker to seal them for kids lunches!
Its great for before or after a workout too :D
Ingredient from Amazon that were used to make this recipe