Kadhi is a flavored dish made in different parts of India. The cooking style, some key ingredients vary based on the regions. Punjabi kadhi is easily recognizable because it has Pakodas, fried dumplings made of chickpea flour. The pakoras could be Batata Vada or potato fritters, Zucchini Tots, Spinach Pakoda / fritters (recipe in this post) etc.
This recipe is from my mum’s kitchen and believe me it turns out to be really lip smacking every time. Sometimes, I don’t even wait for rice to get cooked, rather I end up eating a bowl of Kadhi while tasting itself. Make sure you simmer the kadhi for just a minute or two after adding the pakodas/fritters so that they absorb the flavors but do not become soggy.
Punjabi Kadhi with palak pakoda tastes divine when serve with rice/Jeera rice .
2 cups sour Yogurt/curd
1/2 cup Gram flour/Besan
1 Onion/ chopped
1/3 Tsp Asafoetida
1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 Tsp Fenugreek seeds/methi daana
1/2 Tsp Coriander seeds
1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 Tsp Red chilli powder
1Tsp Cumin/Corriander powder
Salt to taste
5-6 cups Water
1 Tbsp Oil
For the Spinach pakodas/fritters
1 cup besan /bengal gram flour
1 Bunch Spinach/ palak / Chopped
1 small Onion / Chopped
1 small Potato/ Grated
1/4 tsp turmeric powder /Haldi
1 tsp cumin seeds /Zeera
1 green chilli/ chopped
salt to taste
1 Tbsp Oil
- Combine the Yogurt,bengal gram flour , cilantro& salt .
- Add 5-6 cups of water and whisk well using a whisk. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds ,cumin seeds, Coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves ,ginger & few green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds and then add the chopped onions and sauté till translucent.
- Add in turmeric powder, red chillie powder & coriander powder , add the Yogurt, black garam flour & water mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 20-25 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Combine all the ingredients along with few Tbsp of water in a bowl and mix well to form a dough.
- Apply little oil or water and make small golf size balls.
- Heat the pan , add few drops of oil.
- Add in the spinach fritters /pakoda in each cavity. Keep rotating it after every minute to get a nice round shape and even color on the pakoda. it will take around 8- 10 mins .
- Just before serving Add the pakodas, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes
- If you liked this recipe and need some ideas and inspiration to enjoy guilt-free cooking, check out our most popular post on the blog : 30 Appe Pan Recipes, Tips & Video . If you would like to buy the Appe pan, we recommend buying the Tabakh brand from Amazon.