Hara Bhara Kebab / Green Vegetable Patty is a very popular starter / appetizer among vegetarians in various parts of India. So continuing the Appe series, today, I would like to share my recipe of the Hara Bhara Kebabs (Green Vegetable Patty) with you. Although the most commonly available recipes, will have Spinach and Peas as the main patty ingredient. My recipe has an extra secret ingredient, Green Bell Peppers / Capsicum. Unlike other recipes, I cook my vegetables differently too. I saute my vegetables instead of boiling them. The best part is that if cooked in an appe pan, you don’t have to use any binding agent like corn starch or bread crumbs. I think the combination of my cooking method and my secret ingredient is what makes my Hara Bhara Kebab / Green Vegetable Patty stand out. Why don’t you try it out for yourself.
I haven’t come across a lot of people who don’t like these Kebabs. On the contrary, most people relish it thinking its something fancy, that they can only order in Indian restaurants. It is always a big hit at parties. Most of all the reason I love to make these Kebabs all the time is that, it is a great way to hide the greens in a patty and the kids love it. We all know Popeye made himself super strong by eating all the Spinach, so my older son R calls them ‘Popeye Poppers’.
- Spinach – We all know Spinach for it’s ability to fight iron deficiency – anemia. However it also the second richest food source of Vitamin K, after Kale. Vitamin K helps against anti inflammatory problems, promotes bone health and is very necessary in in the blood clotting process.
- Green Peas – Know for it anti-inflammatory properties.Supports blood sugar regulation.
- Bell Peppers / Capsicum – Anti-oxidant and anti-cancer benefits.
- Potatoes – Has the potential to lower blood sugar level. It is a great source of vitamin B6 which promotes cell building, nervous system activity and a key player in athletic performance .
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 green bell pepper / capsicum
- small head of Broccoli
- 4 boiled potatoes (medium size), grated
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chaat masala
- a pinch of turmeric
- 1 cup thin poha/flatten rice
- Salt to taste
- Oil to saute the greens
- Add green bell pepper ,peas,spinach,Broccoli & green chillies.
- Add salt to taste and turmeric (it enhances the color green). Cook the greens until the water has completely evaporated. Once the veggies start sticking the pan, the mixture is ready.
- Make a fine paste of the veggies in a chopper. Remember paste not puree.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the green veggies paste with the grated potatoes.Add in 1 cup of flatten rice/thin poha and mix will till it form a soft dough
- Make small ball. I have added some string cheese ( for Vegan version you can skip it)
- Add few drops of oil in the app pan and cook the kebabs..
- Once cooked, sprinkle some chaat masala over them, just before serving and serve it with ketchup or mint chutney.