So my next post for the Appe series is the mouth watering Vegetable Manchurian, a popular Indo-Chinese recipe which most of us love to eat with either a bowl of fried rice or noodles.Most people don’t try making these manchurians at home thinking that its pretty difficult and complicated. I must admit I used to be one of them too, until one day i made an effort and tried making it at home. Ever since then, there is no looking back, noways. If you are a manchurian lover, I highly recommend you try making your own Vegetable Manchurian, if you haven’t already. No extra added ingredient like MSG, ajino moto & color. However, the traditional Vegetable Manchurian is always fried, which of course adds to the yummilicious taste and not to forget, the calories.
Guess what, there is a reason I am known as the crazy appe lady, I make mine in the appe pan, just because it’s so much more healthier. So here is what I have started doing, anything that I can think of frying, I try it in my appe pan and it usually turns out to be good. I don’t have to think twice anymore, thanks to the appe pan again. So I present to you Soniya Saluja’s Appechurian (Manchurian made in appe pan)
- 5 cauliflower florets, chopped finely
- 1 carrot, chopped finely
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped finely
- Binding agent – 1/2 cup boiled rice (if you have left overs) or@ boiled potatoes or corn starch or all purpose flour(maida) or egg
For the gravy
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, chopped
- 4 green chilies, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 star anise
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Corn flour mixed in 1/2 cup of water
- 4 Cups of water
- 1 tbsp chilly sauce
- 1/2 green & red bell pepper, chopped
- For Manchurian
- Finely chop cauliflower, green bell pepper & carrot in a chopper.
- In a mixing bowl, add your choice of binding agent, chopped vegetables and salt as per taste. I have used boiled potatoes .
- Thoroughly mix the ingredients and prepare small balls from the mixture.
- Heat the appe pan with a few drops of oil and place the balls on the pan.
- Allow it to cook on medium flame for about 4-6 minutes each side.
For Gravy / Sauce
- Heat a few drops of oil in a sauce pan.
- Add fennel seeds, star anise & chopped green chilly, garlic, ginger & cilantro, & bell pepper & saute it for few minutes.
- Add in the soya sauce, red chilly sauce .
- Add in 4 cups of water, let it come to a boil, then mix 2 tbsp of corn flour in 1/2 cup of water, add in the boiling gravy . Keep stirring it, till it thickens .
- Add salt for taste &vinegar.
- Add the Manchurian when you are ready to serve it.
It is ready to be served with either noodles or rice.
- If you liked this recipe and need some ideas and inspiration to enjoy guilt-free cooking, check out our most popular post on the blog : 30 Appe Pan Recipes, Tips & Video . If you would like to buy the Appe pan, we recommend buying the Tabakh brand from Amazon.