As the Appe series continue on our blog, this time we we are trying Soniya’s recipe in our kitchen. Today we hit the Mumbai street food on our blog. Most of you know the famous Batata Vadas, Sandwiches, Bhelpuri, Sevpuri, Dhoklas, but not many have heard of another popular street food, the Farali Patties. I could say it is pretty much the north indian version of Aloo Tikki, except that it’s stuffing is what makes it special and different. The word ‘faral’ means fast. Thus the name as the stuffing is specially meant for those who are fasting. These patties are very popular in most Gujarati household during fasts. Typically, they are fried, but here is my low calorie version of the same, made in an appe pan. I must admit it except for the boiled, mashed potatoes, it is a pretty quick recipe.
Actual proportions are mentioned below.
- For Stuffing
- 5 tbsp coconut, freshly grated
- 3 tbsp peanuts, roasted and coarsely powdered
- 3 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp raisins, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp cashews, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp ginger – green chilly paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Mashed Potato Mixture
- 1 3/4 cups boiled, peeled and mashed potatoes
- salt to taste
- Sweetened Yogurt
- 1 cup fresh yogurt / dahi
- 3 tbsp sugar
- a pinch of salt
- Grind the roasted peanuts, cilantro, ginger & green chilies.
- Mash boiled potatoes. Add salt to taste.
- Evenly divide the mashed potato mixture & stuffing into equal parts.
- Take a portion of the potato mixture and flatten it.Put a portion of the stuffing mixture into the flatted potato mixture.
- Bring together the edges of the potato mixture in the centre to seal the stuffing and shape it into a ball. Keep aside.
- Heat the appe pan with oil in each section of the appe pan.Cook each side on slow – medium heat for approx 5-6 minutes.
- Once cooked, keep tossing the side to make sure, the balls are evenly colored.
- Serve them hot with either a chutney of your choice or sweetened yogurt.
- If you liked this recipe and need some ideas and inspiration to enjoy guilt-free cooking, check out our most popular post on the blog : 30 Appe Pan Recipes, Tips & Video . If you would like to buy the Appe pan, we recommend buying the Tabakh brand from Amazon.