Dishes made with posto or poppy seeds are very popular in West Bengal. Aloo posto being the most popular one.Bongs can eat a plate full of rice just with a bowl of aloo posto.I love aloo posto,I mean who doesn’t love aloo.But being a little bit health conscious nowadays I am trying to cut curbs from my diet.So came up with the idea of cauliflower Posto with very little aloo.Ate one similar dish in one of my aunt’s house.Good with rice as well as roti.:-)
- Half head of a cauliflower /cut into small florets
- 1 small potato /cut into small cubes
- 1 onion /chopped
- Poppy seeds/posto/khuskhus 3 – 4 tablespoon
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Nigella seeds
- 2 dry red chilli
- 1 tsp sugar / optional
method for the posto paste
- Normally to make a paste add little water to the dry posto and microwave it for 4 minutes approximately (this helps while grinding ).
- Then I put it in the blender for a fine paste.
- In a pan heat oil (you can use any oil,I used mustard oil )
- Add in the Nigella seeds, dry red chilli and onion .
- Lightly saute the onion then add the cauliflower and potatoes.
- Add in the spices, mix well.Cook it uncovered as well as covered sometimes.
- Now when the cauliflower and the potato is lightly browned add the posto paste cook it covered for 5 to 10 minutes .
- After 5 or 10 Minutes cook it uncovered until the vegetables are tender.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar at this point but that is optional.
Eat it with rice or roti!