Upma is an extremely common yet lovable south indian snack. It is a popular breakfast choice at my house too.
It is tasty, healthy, filling, low in fat and calories and keeps you going for long time. Upma can be made with Rava,Oats,Quinoa etc as the main ingredient. I have a twist to it… I am making this dish with iron-rich Poha/Beaten rice.
Even those who are not very fond of regular upma made with rava or rice,will love this Poha upma,that too when eaten hot it tastes divine.
It is great breakfast recipe for weight watchers, they dont have the boring diet food every other day and can indulge on this poha upma.
The addition of veggies makes this upma very colorful apart from making the dish very healthy. In this Poha upma recipe I have added carrot ,peas and capsicum,you can use sprouts to make this upma even more tasty and healthy.
- 1 cup beaten rice /poha/thin
- 1/2 cup yogurt /dahi whisked with 1 cup water
- 1 carrot/grated
- 1/4 cup boiled green peas
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper/finely chopped
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper/finely chopped
- 2 pinches of turmeric powder /haldi
- 2 pinches of chilli powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds / rai
- 2 tsp sesame seeds /til
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/zeera
- 2 tbsp peanuts /crushed
- 2 pinches of asafetida /hing
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut/garnish/optional
- 2 tsp oil for cooking
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 green chill
- salt to taste
- Clean and wash the beaten rice/poha .add in the yogurt and let it sit for few mintues
- Then, add all the Veggies ,salt to taste,turmeric powder and red chilli powder and mix well.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When they crackle, add the sesame seeds, asafetida ,Zeera,crushed peanuts ,cilantro and green chilli.
- pour in the poha,yogurt and veggie mixture and stir it well till it thicken to desired constancy
garnish it with shredded coconut and roasted peanuts.
- Serve hot.