Me and R1 are from Mumbai and one thing we loved about Mumbai is the variety of food/snack easily available. Dhokla/khaman is one of our favorites . Just like idlis I like to try different variation in dhoklas too, these are made by adding Green peas .
This signature gujarati dish is a popular tea-time choice and they are made nutritious by the addition of green peas, which are full of fiber.
Another plus point about this recipe is that the same batter can also be used to turn out a variety of other dishes like chillas, utthapas, etc.
Kids will love these dhoklas 🙂 and so will the others members of your family… it can be prepared easily in the morning and packed comfortably in a snack box as well.
Did you know ??
Green peas are one of the most nutritious leguminous vegetables rich in health benefiting phyto-nutrients, minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants.
Garden peas are also good in vitamin K. A nutrient present in peas helps in absorbing calcium making it a great food item for improving your bone health. As much as 50% of your daily Vitamin K1 requirement is met by a cup of boiled peas. What more? Nutrients like Vitamin B1 and folic acid are found in abundance in peas which in turn prevent osteoporosis.
- 1 cup frozen green peas/puree
- 1 cup besan /bengal gram flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- 1/2 tsp citric acid /nimbu ka phool/ dissolved in 1 tbsp water
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp fruit salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds /rai
- 1/4 tsp of asafoetida /hing
- 1 tsp green chillies/chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro /dhania/chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut/grated/ optional for garnish
- Make a fine paste/puree of the green peas .(I have used frozen peas)
- Combine the gram flour/besan, green peas purée, salt, sugar, ginger- green chilli paste, citric acid mixture in water and mix well to get a smooth mixture.
- Grease a Plate/thali with little oil.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and add 2 tbsp of water over it.
- mix gently.
- Pour the batter immediately into a greased Plate/thali.
- Steam in steamer for 10- 15 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked.
- Heat the oil in small pan and add the mustard seeds add the asafoetida,sesame seeds ,kaddi patta and green chillies and mix well.
- Add 4-6 tbsp of water and pour the tempering over the dhoklas.
- Cool slightly and cut into square pieces.
- Garnish with coriander and coconut and serve it with spicy beetroot chutney chutney.