Diwali.. the festival of lights is almost here. Its the time of the year when we exchange sweets and savories with our beloved ones. People make a lot of the savories at home… like Puran Poli, Karanji, Poha chivda, Rava ladoo, chakli etc. In preparation for Diwali, I am preparing something simple yet delicious and am sharing it here. It is a quick and easy snack recipe. Diwali season brings back a lot of amazing memories of my childhood like learning how to make Rangoli and Kandils learned making Rangoli and Kandil (Lanterns), the fire crackers, the lights.. its just amazing. The experience cannot be described in words. We do miss celebrating Diwali In US at the level as India, but we still try to make it special and memorable for our loved ones.
So today I am sharing a Low calorie snack for this festive season. Made a fresh batch of Cereal chivda with cornflakes,cheerios,rice puff for our upcoming festive season !
Evening time is the worst when it comes to eating a healthy snack :) This is also what I call the DANGER TIME where many of us tend to eat wrong foods. This hunger is where our taste buds suddenly awaken wanting chat pata nashta! ! Wiser choices here
Make this crispy, crunchy snack ahead of time and store in an air-tight container
Carry this snack in your bag to work.
- 2 cups Corn Flakes Cereal
- 2 cups Multigrain cheerios
- 2 cup rice Krispie cereal/ rice puffs
- 1 cup Peanuts/raw
- 1/2 cup Roasted Chana dal / Dalia
- 1/4 cup dried coconut/ shredded
- 1/4 cup cashew halfs/almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1tbsp Cumin seeds/Zeera
- 1 tbsp Mustard seeds/Rai
- 1/2 tsp or to taste Red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- a generous pinch Asafetida /Hing
- 10curry leaves
- 5 green chilles
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Heat the oil in a wide pan/Kadai over medium high heat. After oil is moderately hot add Asafetida/hing and mustard seeds.
- As mustard seeds crack add and curry leaves.
- Lower the heat to medium low, stir-fry for about 30 seconds; add peanuts ,chana dal ,Cashews and shredded dried coconut stir-fry for some time .. be patient if you dnt roast it properly the peanuts and the chana dal will taste raw .
- Add green chilli, chili powder, turmeric, and salt mix it well.
- Add rice crispy cereal and corn flakes and honey nut cheerios stir the mixture gently ,mix it well quick and turn off the heat.
- Chivda is ready.
- Let the cereal chivda cool of to room temperature before serving.
- Healthy Cereal chivda can be kept for several days in airtight container.