Candied ginger aka Crystallized ginger, is prepared by boiling ginger in a simple syrup and then letting the ginger dry out. Ginger has great health benefits, however like most sugar candies, too much of these candies is not good .
The list of benefits of ginger is huge, it relieves indigestion, nausea, colic, gas, heartburn, morning sickness, and motion sickness. In addition, ginger seems to protect against ulcers, is helpful against internal parasites, and may even ease acid reflux. Tried and tested remedy for coughs is ginger with honey. Ginger compresses relieve sore muscles, stomach cramps, and swollen glands. This is great stuff!!
- 2 cup fresh ginger
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- Peel ginger and slice into thin rounds .
- When sugar is disolved, add ginger and boil for 30-40 minutes.
- Ginger should be tender.Drain ginger and reserve liquid.
- Place ginger on rack to dry for 30 minutes.
- Toss with sugar to coat.Let dry on wax paper or rack.
- Reserved ginger syrup liquid can be used in Tea..cake,waffle..
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.