Dal or Lentils as it is more commonly known in USA, is one of the most commonly made food in the kitchen of a North Indian. There are different types of Dals and thus different recipes and ingredients for each type.
Dal is a pretty regular affair in our home as I make it every other day. I prepare various Dal types like whole black gram , Chana dal,Rajma & Split black gram dal, Yellow lentils to name a few at home. Dal makhani or butter Dal is usually made by using Urad Dal/Black Gram (also known as Maa di daal in a punjabi household) as the main ingredient.
Today I am going to share a recipe of Maa ki dal /kaali dal/Dal makhani (lentil curry). This popular Punjabi Dal is made by using Urad Dal/Black Gram, kidney beans & channa dal with spices. Dal Makhani, literally means buttery lentils, however the recipe I shared does not use cream , milk or butter. I added a dollop of butter at the end for taste, however you can skip that completely if you feel like keeping it Vegan.
- 1cup Whole black gram dal/Whole Urad dal
- 1/4 cup Chana dal
- 1/4 cup Split black gram dal/ urad dal
- 1/4 cup Rajma/optional
- 1 cup onion/chopped
- 1tbsp ginger/chopped
- 1 green chill/chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 4 garlic cloves/minced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds/zeera
- 1 tbsp oil for tempering
- 2 large tomatoes/chopped
- fresh cilantro/dhaniya
- Butter or ghee for garnish
- Wash and soak the whole black gram , Chana dal,Rajma & Split black gram dal.(I added canned Rajma while giving tadka)
- Pressure cook the dal in water with Onion,chopped ginger ,Green chillies,salt and turmeric powder for 3 to 4 whistles and then let it be on low flame for 10 mins.After 10 mins switch off the gas. When the pressure settles down open the lid and see if the dal is totally cooked and soft.
(If you forgot to soak the dal .. no worries just pressure cook 4-6 whistles and keep it on low to medium heat for 30-45 mins.Skip the Rajma or add canned rajma while giving the tadka)
- Heat unsalted butter or Oil in a pan . Add cumin seeds, when the cumin seeds start spluttering add garlic and Chopped tomatoes. Saute till the tomatoes are well done.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and dried Kastoori methi / dried fenugreek leaves saute until oil oozes out from the masala or till the tomato becomes mashy.
- Pour the cooked dal from the pressure cooker .
- Simmer on low heat until the dal totally soft and well blended with the tadka/tempering.
- Serve immediately, garnish with green chillies and ginger pieces. enjoy it with whole wheat Kulcha ,Roti or Jeera Rica.