My children R2 and R3 are much more adventurous eaters than I ever was at their age. So SO Happy :D.
Well R1 has become adventures after Marriage… no I am not taking the complete credit for it. I still remember those days… this was before our marriage and we were on our trousseau shopping with my mom and mom-in -law, we were having lunch and my mom -in -law was informing me about what R1 likes and dislikes about his food and there were more dislikes than likes and just in the flow I said >>> Aapke Bete ke Bahut nakhare hai :O (Your son is a fussy eater). My MOM gave me a nudge and told me to shut up / OOPs. After marriage I have had him try a lot of veggies in a way he would love them 😀 and I think that is what I have tried to do as a mother too .
So back to todays recipe .. Its very rare to see spicy south Indian recipes being relished in North Indian homes. Yes we have seen North Indians enjoy their dosas, idlis and wada.. and i believe that is where usually their knowledge of South Indian food ends. I have mentioned this earlier as well… being from a meltropolitan city like Mumbai, we have relished a lot of different cuisines with our neighbors and have grown up enjoying them.
Chicken chettinad curry is a spicy, real hot, exotic dish from the Tamil-Nadu . According to Wikipedia Chettinad cuisine has gained popularity in non-Tamil speaking areas as well. Madurai, Tirunelveli and the other southern districts of Tamil Nadu are known for non-vegetarian food made of mutton, chicken, fish.
In this recipe, the marinated chicken is cooked in spicy, tasty chettinad masala is freshly prepared with combination of coconut, onions, tomatoes along with spices makes the masala unique and gives a great taste to the dish.
This famous chicken curry comes out a winner among all those who love the heat of red chillies incorporated with a blend of rich spicy aroma.
The sauce is a combination of coconut, tomatoes and more yummy spices such as coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, garlic and ginger. . This dish smells heavenly and tastes even better!
Note: If you like less spicy curries, use dried Kashmiri red chilies and remove seeds from them. You will get the color and flavor without the heat of chilies in the curry.
For Chettinad masala:
- 3-5 Red chilly
- 1Tbsp Coriander seeds/Dhana
- 1Tsp Cumin seeds/Zeera
- 1Tsp Fennel seeds/sauf
- 1/2Tsp Black Pepper corns/kali mirchi
- 2-3 Tbsp Grated fresh coconut
- 3 Cloves/laung
- 1 Cardamom/elaichi
- 1Tbsp Chana dal/daliya
- 1 Star anise/chakr phool
- 6-8 Cashews/kaju
For Marinating chicken:
- 6- 8 Drumsticks organic Chicken
- 1/2Tsp Turmeric powder/Haldi
- 1/2 Tsp Red chilly powder/lal mirchi
- 1/2 Lemon juice
- 2Tbsp Oil
- 2 Dried Red chilly
- 1 medium Onions/ chopped
- 1Tbsp Ginger garlic/ paste
- 1 large Tomato/ Chopped
- 10 curry leave and small bunch Cilantro leaves/chopped
- 1tsp red Chile powder /optional
- Salt to taste
- 1 Lime juice
- Wash and give few slit on chicken drumsticks .
- Dry roast the red chilly, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black peppercorns, grated coconut, cloves, cardamom, chana dal, star anise and cashews.
- Grind it in a blender with little water to coarse paste.
- Prepare a marinade with the chettinad paste ,turmeric pwd, salt, and lemon juice,mix well and add the chicken pieces.
- Marinate for few hours.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add red chilly and onions,Saute till translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste ,saute for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, curry and cilantro leaves.
- Mix well till oil separates.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and mix well with the masala in high flame for few minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium low .
- Add salt to taste.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and cook the chicken covered with lid.
- Once the chicken is done, simmer the flame till the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Add few drops of fresh lemon juice.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander and curry leaves.
- Delicious Chettinad chicken curry is ready to serve with Roti /Rice.