Dahi Bhalle or Dahi vada, as it is also referred to, is a popular and delicious street food snack with split black gram lentils (urad daal) and yogurt as the primary ingredients. Today I am presenting to you No Fry Dahi Bhalle recipe with the vadas made in Appe Pan / Paniyaram pan. It can be made spicy or sweet based on personal preference and tastes great when consumed chilled. It can also be served as a side dish.
Different communities have their own variations to this recipe. For example, some add sugar to the curds, while others temper it with mustard and curry leaves. The Marwaris use moong dal instead of urad dal to make the vadas. Dahi vadas can be eaten as a snack or as part of the meal. The vadas can be made a day in advance and refrigerated. You only have to soak them in hot water and drain just before serving to make them soft and moist. My recipe is a mix were I am using Urad & Moond Dal .
Did i mention it is R1’s favorite .. So today I am sharing my No -fry Dahi Bhalle which is not only healthy but delicious too. It is low-fat version as it is made in Appe / Paniyaram pan with minimal oil. Serve as a side dish with your meal.
For making No Fry Bhalla :
- 1 cup Urad Dal
- 1/2 cup Moong dal
- 1 Tsp Freahly cracked Black pepper powder
- 1 Tsp Dry miny leaves/you can use fresh too
- Some cilantro leaves /Chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
For making Dhahi Bhalla Chaat :
- 3 cups Thick curd
- 1/2 cup Green chutney
- 1/2 cup Tamarind chutney
- 2 Tbsp Roasted cumin powder
- 1 Tbsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 cup Chopped coriander
- 1 Tsp Rock salt/kala namak
- 1 Tbsp sugar /optional
- Wash and soak urad dal & Moong Dal overnight or minimum 4 hours.
- Drain water and grind dal into a thick batter. If you find dal to be too thick, add little water to make it grind easily. I dnt put the lid on the blender (air is formed) By doing so the batter will rise well and you will get nice and fluffy bhalla with beautiful air pockets.
- Transfer the batter into a large bowl and salt as needed ,black pepper powder,dried mint leaves & chopped cilantro.
- Heat a Paniyaram pan / Appe pan /Aeblesikver pan and add few drops of oil in each cavity of the pan. The pan should be hot.
- Lower the flame on low to med .Take a spoon & pour the batter in each cavities or you can pour all the batter in a ziplock bag ,seal it and snip from one corner & pour the batter into each section of the pan.( Now get the heat to med to high)
- As you see the the above pic ,how the batter from the sides has puffed..Thats a good sign :D
For making Chaat :
- Whisk curd add Rock salt into it as per taste.let it chill in the refrigerator.
- Heat water in a big pan and add salt in it .
add the bhallas .
- Allow them to rest for 10- 15 minutes till they get soft. Take them out one by one carefully and squeeze excess water very gently by squeezing it between your palm. Make sure the bhalle shouldn’t break.
- Place them all in the serving tray or bowl .
- Pour in the curd over the bhallas. sprinkle some Red chilli powder, Roasted Cumin/zeera powder and black pepper.
- Do view the video below of the preparation of Dahi Vada in Appe Pan
Add green chutney and tamarind chutney all over the dahi bhalla to your liking .garnish it with some cilantro and ginger juliennes.
- You can also add pomegranate seeds/ Sev if you feel like, It’s completely optional.
- If you liked this recipe and need some ideas and inspiration to enjoy guilt-free cooking, check out our most popular post on the blog : 30 Appe Pan Recipes, Tips & Video . If you would like to buy the Appe pan, we recommend buying the Tabakh brand from Amazon.