These Instant Pot Roasted Potatoes are not just any Roasted Potatoes recipe, these are German style Rosemary Potatoes with colorful veggies. Budget friendly, tasty & easy to make. Makes a perfect side for any occasion. Pressure cook the potatoes, then season with garlic herb blend and saute with onions & peppers. Yum yum!!! Under 30 minutes. Vegan. Gluten-Free. Video recipe.
German Roasted Potatoes
The holiday season will be here soon and these German Style Roasted Potatoes are absolutely a recipe you must try.
These potatoes are a staple here in Germany during the Christmas Markets (Christkindlmarkt). As you can see in the picture below, these potatoes are traditionally cooked in a large wok type skillet, with lots of olive oil, garlic, herbs and colorful veggies. Trust me, just the aroma of the herbs will make you drool.
I recently relished these potatoes at a food stall at a local fest. By far the best potatoes I ever had so far. I came back home and tried the recipe a couple times and and I have decided to share this recipe with you to try it yourself. Let me know what do you think of these potatoes when you try them. BTW if you are in the Chicago area and you want to experience an American-German Christmas Market, you can explore it here.
Roasted Potatoes Recipe
Making these roasted potatoes is super easy. It literally involves just three steps. Cook potatoes. Saute veggies. Season them.
You can either cook either the traditional way in a skillet or the quicker way in your Instant Pot. You will need lots of olive oil for this recipe. I mean generous amounts. Small whole skinned potatoes are best for this recipe. You can used dried of fresh herbs, whatever is readily available and feel free to get creative. I also used some crushed pepper. To add some color, red onions, green and red peppers go best. They also enhance the flavors. Garlic adds a lot of flavors and aroma too.
Instant Pot Roasted Potatoes / Garlic Roasted Potatoes / Roasted Baby Potates
Making this recipe in the Instant Pot, is a time saver. You don’t have to constantly watch the heat and don;t have to continuously stir. Just three steps and your done. Quick, easy and delicious!!!
- Pressure Cook Potatoes – Pour water in the inner pot. Add some salt. Place the thoroughly washed whole skinned potatoes in a steam basket. Now place the steamer basket with potatoes in the inner pot and Pressure Cook at for 13 minutes and then Quick Release. This will yield you soft, creamy, melt in your mouth potatoes. For a firmer texture reduce the cooking time to 10 minutes.
- Seasoning – Now heat olive oil in the inner pot on Saute. Throw in the garlic, herbs, crushed pepper and wait for the lovely aroma for a min or so.
- Saute – Now throw in the chopped red onions, green and red peppers and saute for about 2-3 minutes until the veggies are half cooked. Now throw in the potatoes and salt and saute for 5 minutes until the potatoes are coated with herbs. Garnish with fresh parsley if you have some and enjoy.
How to make roast potatoes, the traditional way
The recipe more or less remains the same. You will still pressure cook or boil the potatoes, still season the same way, except that you will cook in a skillet instead of the Instant Pot.
What kind of potatoes to use for Roasted Potatoes
You can pretty much use variety of potato. You can use red, gold, or even sweet potatoes for this recipe. You can use Idaho potatoes or small baby potatoes. This recipe has been tested with small baby potatoes. If you are using the larger variety of potatoes, cooking times may vary.
You can either use either skinned potatoes or chose to remove the skin. Cut them or use them whole, it’s totally upto you, feel free to get creative.
Can you freeze Roast Potatoes
Yes, potatoes freeze well if stored in an appropriate freezer bag or freezer container.
How do you reheat Roast Potatoes
I add a little olive oil to my Instant Pot and reheat them on Saute. You can even reheat them in an oven or a skillet or pan.
What to Pair with Roast Potatoes
These pretty much goes along with anything. However if you are thinking of a holiday spread, pair it with this delicious Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Indian Masala Sauce and Turmeric Rice or Lemon Herb Rice. Add it to your weeknight meal by pairing it with the Italian Lentil Soup and Mushroom Rissotto.
When you try this recipe
Don’t forget to take a picture and send it our way. You can tag us on Instagram @dbellyrulesdmind
We would love to hear your thoughts on this recipe, so come back and leave us a review below and rate the recipe.
If you liked this recipe, share it with your friends and family.
We are social to connect with us and stay tuned to our recipes make you you follow us on
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 lbs baby potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs (rosemary, basil, oregano)
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Parsley or Rosemary for Garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup bell peppers diced
- 1/2 cup red onions diced
- Pressure Cook Potatoes - Pour water in the inner pot. Add half the salt. Place the thoroughly washed whole skinned potatoes in a steam basket. Now place the steamer basket with potatoes in the inner pot and Pressure Cook at for 13 minutes and then Quick Release. This will yield you soft, creamy, melt in your mouth potatoes. For a firmer texture reduce the cooking time to 10 minutes.
- Seasoning - Now heat olive oil in the inner pot on Saute. Throw in the garlic, herbs, crushed pepper and wait for the lovely aroma for a min or so.
- Saute - Now throw in the chopped red onions, green and red peppers, and remaining salt and saute for about 2-3 minutes until the veggies are half cooked. Now throw in the potatoes and saute for 5 minutes until the potatoes are coated with herbs. Garnish with fresh parsley if you have some and enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
Stackable Steamer Insert Pans with Sling - Instant Pot Accessories for 6, 8 Qt - Stainless Steel Food Steamer for Pressure Cooker & Pot in Pot Accessories - Cook 2 foods at Once
Mealthy MultiPot 9-in-1 Programmable Slow and Pressure Cooker
McCormick Perfect Pinch Italian Seasoning, 6.25 Ounce
Steamer Basket Stainless Steel Vegetable Steamer Basket Folding Steamer Insert for Veggie Fish Seafood Cooking, Expandable to Fit Various Size Pot (5.1" to 9")