So the first time I had savory muffins was when I was visiting Anvita earlier this year. My family and I instantly fell in LOVE with the muffins. The muffins have always been a huge hit. They are a part of our 1 Batter 7 dishes post. So the other day I had one of my friends visiting me, it was an impromptu plan and I was thinking of making something quick and not too elaborate. So the muffins instantly came to my mind. I decided to recreate the recipe with my own twist.
Fresh colors and fresh flavors. Carrots, bell peppers, beans & ginger. These veggies seem to be getting along quite nicely, flavor and color wise. I wanted to add some flavors to this dish , nice green spark, and a little crunch. So I decided to give a nice tempering …Mustard seeds, Sesame seeds,Cumin seeds , Asafetida & Cilantro . Voila, there you have it, fireworks!
I must say this loaf cake travels really well. It’s perfect for picnics, lunch box or a quick evening snack.. Just add in your favorite veggies, make the batter and bake.
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup carrots/ grated
- 1/4 cup green beans/chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper/chopped
- 3/4 tsp ginger /grated
- 2 green chillies/ chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2tsp oil
- 1tsp Mustard seeds/rai
- 1tsp Cumin seeds/ zeera
- 1tsp sesame seed/til
- 2tbsp cilantro/ chopped
- 1/2tsp onion seeds/kalongi
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F and grease the loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, add semolina & yogurt. Mix it well.
- Add in carrots,Bell peppers,green beans, green chillies, ginger & salt. Add water and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a small pan with oil, add in Asafetida ,mustard seeds and let it crackle, then add cumin seeds,sesame seeds & cilantro.
- Pour the tempering to the mixture and stir well.
- Add in the baking powder, mix it well.
- Pour the batter in the greased loaf pan.
- Bake them for about 35-40 minutes until a toothpick comes clean from the center of the loaf.
- Allow them to cool, slice it and serve it with green chutney.
For more recipes using this batter click here.