Kulcha is a type of bread that is usually made from maida(finely milled refined and bleached wheat flour) and is a typical Punjabi recipe.
Coming from a Punjabi family Kulcha are one of our favorite kinds of flatbread.They are super soft, delicious and usually had with any rich gravy dish (its most frequently paired with Chole / chickpea curry).
These are also quick to prepare when compared to Naan as they do not need yeasting. You can also make stuffed Kulcha based on your preference. We make different kinds of kulcha at my place by stuffing it with ingredients like like Onion, potato, paneer , etc, however I prefer the plain ones and make them more often than the others. The recipe below uses Whole wheat and not maida as it is traditionally made and is healthy. So what are you guys waiting for, try out this super soft+whole wheat+delicious flatbread
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour /Chapathi atta
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 tbsp minced Garlic /or as per taste
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1tbsp olive Oil/canola oil/ghee
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- chopped Cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Sesame seeds/til
- black seed/kalonji
- garlic powder/optional
- Place all the dry ingredients for the dough together and mix well.
- Now add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture along with garlic and cilantro.
- Add water spoonful at a time,until it comes together into a dough.
- Place this mixture on a lightly floured surface and knead well for few minutes.
- Place it in a bowl, cover and let it sit for 15 -20 minutes .
- Now take a small ball from the dough
- Using a rolling pin roll into a small ovals .
- Don’t forget to dust the board with flour along with your rolling pin.
- Dust the excess flour and place it on a greased non stick pan.
- You will notice it starts puffing up on the surface of the flatbread.
- Turn the other side and the flatbread puffs up into a thicker flatbread than what you rolled out. Cook for another minute .
- Spread some butter, the sprinkle the sesame seeds,black seeds and cilantro.
flip it for few second.
- Serve it with any rich gravy dish.