Air fryer asparagus is a delicious way to serve this green veggie. Your family will love how crunchy and flavorful it comes out in the air fryer and you will feel good serving them such a healthy side or snack! This Crispy Asparagus recipe is vegan, low-carb, low-calorie, keto, paleo, whole 30, and 0 points on Weight Watchers. Video Recipe.
[avatar user="Anvita" size="thumbnail" align="right" link="https://thebellyrulesthemind.net/about-us/" target="_blank"]Anvita[/avatar]
This Recipe's Index
What is Air Fryer Asparagus?
Air fryer asparagus turns often soft (and potentially mushy) asparagus into a crispy, delicious snack or side dish. Once you start using your air fryer to cook asparagus, you might not go back to cooking it any other way.
7 reasons why you will love this Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe
- The airfryer asparagus has a bit of a crispy outside and soft inside.
- You can use a lot of different flavors or keep them simple with some oil and salt.
- They are a great, homemade replacement for potato chips or other junk food.
- Crispy air fryer asparagus will help get your kids eating extra veggies.
- You can use air fried asparagus as a snack for your hungry family or as part of dinner.
- Craving dip? This is perfect to dunk in your favorite dips or sauces.
- This recipe fits vegan, low-carb, low-calorie, keto, paleo, whole 30 and is 0 on Weight Watcher Points.
What ingredients do I need for Air Fryer Asparagus?
- You don’t need much to make delicious fried asparagus. The main ingredient is asparagus, which you should be able to find at the grocery store most times of year.
- To flavor and help the asparagus crisp, you’ll need a small amount of oil and salt. And for garnish, I use lemon wheels.
- The only other items you may need are additional spices if you want to add a bit of seasoning to your asparagus spears. But if you don’t want additional spices, you definitely don’t need them. These air fried asparagus spears are delicious as is.
How to cook Air Fryer Asparagus (2 ways - First using Air Fryer and second using Air Fryer or Crisper Lid
How you cook your air fryer asparagus can vary a bit depending on the type of air fryer you have. There are two main types of air fryers: independent units that typically have a basket and as an air fryer lid for a pressure cooker.
- For either option, start by washing your asparagus well using cool water.
- Once the asparagus is well washed, trim the woody ends off the asparagus. Pat them with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Next, place the spears on a plate and either drizzle or spray some oil over top. Sprinkle salt over top of the asparagus spears.
- The next steps will vary based on the type of air fryer you are using.
- For an air fryer with a basket, place the spears in the basket leaving a little bit of room and avoiding over-crowding them. Place the basket into the air fryer and make sure it is closed. Set the air fryer to 400 F / 200 C and to cook for 7 minutes. The asparagus will be crispy and a bit tender when done.
- If you are using a Mealthy Crisp Lid or a Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid, place the trivet on the bottom of the inner pot. Next add the fryer basket and add the asparagus spears in a single layer and avoid overcrowding them. Place the lid on and set the asparagus to cook for 5 minutes at 400 F / 200 C.
Is Air Fryer Asparagus healthy
Air fryer asparagus is very healthy. It uses very little oil to create the crispy effect. You can also reduce the amount of sodium you use to make the asparagus. You can replace the salt with salt free spice mixes or leave plain.
Also, our air fryer asparagus recipe is vegan, low-carb, low-calorie, keto, paleo, whole 30, and 0 points on Weight Watchers. You could also try Lemon Garlic Pepper Instant Pot Asparagus for another low carb, low calorie snack.
If you have a bit of a sweet tooth, but want to eat healthy, you can try either Air Fryer Apple Chips or Air Fryer Banana Chips. Both these recipes offer a healthy alternative to high calorie desserts or snacks and are easy to make.
Tips to buy Asparagus for Air Fryer Asparagus
You want to look for fresh looking asparagus spears. If you touch them, they should feel a bit firm. They should also be a mostly greenish hue to them.
If the tips look or feel mushy, the asparagus is starting to spoil. You should avoid them. Also, if the asparagus feels limp, you should avoid them as well.
How to trim asparagus spears
Asparagus are naturally very fibrous. The further down the stock you go, the harder or more woody it becomes. You want to remove the bottom ⅛ or so of the spear, cutting away most of the white leaving just the green stalk. To do this, use a sharp knife on a cutting board.
Asparagus is often sold in a bunch held together with rubber bands. Try keeping the rubber bands on and line the woody, white ends of the spears up with each other. Use a large kitchen knife to remove all the ends at once by carefully holding the bunch and slicing off the woody ends. If you do this, you may need to trim one or two, but most should be trimmed nicely.
How to store Asparagus
You can store fresh asparagus in the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 days. But I wouldn’t wait too long to use it because it can spoil quickly at times.
Once you cook the asparagus in the air fryer, you should be able to store the asparagus for 2 to 3 days in an airtight container. You could then reheat in an air fryer at 350 for about 1 to 2 minutes or use a microwave to reheat them. But, I recommend eating the asparagus when freshly made because it tastes the best that way.
At what temperature to cook Air Fryer Asparagus
When you use the air fryer to cook asparagus, you want to cook it at 400 F or 200 C for 7 minutes. This time may vary a bit based on your own preference. If you want something slightly crispier, you might try to cook for about 8 minutes, but if you like it a bit less well done, you could try for about 6 minutes.
You can use a variety of potential flavors to season your asparagus. It somewhat depends on your mood.
If you feel like a spicy, southwestern asparagus from the air fryer, you can use your favorite southwest spices or blends. And if you like Mexican food, you can check out these Air Fryer Mexican Street Corn.
You could also sprinkle garlic salt or garlic powder on the asparagus if you want just a little extra seasoning. I often add extra spices, like smoked paprika, oregano, and parsley. And if you like foods seasoned with garlic and air fried to perfection, try these Crispy Garlic Air Fryer Potato Wedges.
If you like parmesan cheese, you could add some grated parmesan cheese to the asparagus before frying them. The parmesan cheese crisps up nicely in the airfryer giving them a bit more crunch and salty flavor.
Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe | Air Fryer Asparagus Video Recipe
- fresh green asparagus, 1 bunch
- olive oil or cooking spary 1 tbsp
- salt to taste
- 2-3 lemon wheels
- Wash and trim the woody ends of asparagus
- Place the Asparagus in a rectangle container or plate and drizzle or spray the oil.
- Sprinkle the salt and coat the Asparagus evenly.
- If Air Frying in a basket then place the Asparagus spears in the Air Fryer basket in a single layer without overcrowding it and close the basket. Air Fry the Asparagus at 400 F / 200 C for 7 minutes until crispy tender. Skip to step 7.
- If Air Frying using the Crisper or Air Fryer Lid that fits onto the electric pressure cooker then, place the trivet followed by the fryer basket in the inner pot.
- Arrange the Asparagus evenly in a single layer on the frying basket. Air Fry the Asparagus at 400 F / 200 C for 5 minutes until crispy tender.
- Once ready dress them up with lemon wheels
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
GoWISE USA 1700-Watt 5.8-QT 8-in-1 Digital Air Fryer and 50 Recipes for your Air Fryer Book (Black)
Instant™ Vortex™ 6-Quart 4-in-1 Air Fryer with Roast, Broil, Bake, and Reheat functions
Gourmia GAF400 Electric Multipurpose Classic Rapid Air Fryer with Dual Dial Timer & Temperature Controls, 10 Cup/4.5 Qt. Capacity, 1230W, Black
Mealthy CrispLid for Pressure Cooker - Turns your Pressure Cooker into an Air Fryer - Air fry, Crisp or Broil fits 6 & 8 Q Pot Basket, Trivet, Silicone Mat, Tongs plus Instant access Free Recipe App
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1
Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1