Easy Instant Pot Apple Crisp recipe - A warm comforting bowl of tender Cinnamon Apples topped with a crispy crunchy gluten free oats, makes it a perfect treat after any meal. It’s delicious, irresistible and perfect for all seasons. Simply prepare the crumble in the Instant Pot and top it over your Instant Pot Cinnamon Apples. Yes that easy. Try it to believe it!!!
[avatar user="Anvita" size="thumbnail" align="right" link="https://thebellyrulesthemind.net/about-us/" target="_blank"]Anvita[/avatar]
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
Making apple crisp in your pressure cooker is a game changer. Remember the Cinnamon Apples I shared a few weeks ago? Just make the sweet cinnamon apples and the crispy oats crumble, yes both individually in your pressure cooker and then just top the crumble on the apples. That’s it!
No babysitting. No preheating the oven or baking for a long time. It’s all instant in the Instant Pot. I typically store the crumble and cinnamon apples individually and just whip up a warm comforting bowl in a jiffy, literally anytime I want.
Why this is best apple crisp recipe ever
Who can say no to sweet cinnamon flavored apples topped with a crispy crumble. Trust me this is finger-licking delicious!!!
Apart from the flavors its all about the texture, texture, texture!!! Yes I cannot emphasize enough on how perfect the texture of this Instant Pot Apple Crisp is.
Soft tender apples coated with sweet cinnamon flavors and a crispy crumble to top the apples, all made to perfection in the Instant Pot from scratch. No mushy apples, just how you would like them soft yet crispy tender. Plus the crumble is actually crisp!
Plus it’s a super easy recipe.
What sets this Instant Pot Apple Crisp recipe apart from other Apple Crisp recipes
Most Instant Pot Apple Crisp recipes call for adding the crumble mixture on the apples and cook the two together, which doesn’t really give you a crispy crumble texture. You have to either bake or broil individual portions in the oven. That means pre-heating the oven and baking the crisp for a few minutes. Ofcourse, there is nothing wrong with it. I just find it easier to deal with just one kitchen appliance than removing and cleaning another one when I can get the same results using my pressure cooker.
This recipe is different from the others as the crumble or topping made in the Instant Pot is actually crisp , as it is made separately and just used a topping over the cinnamon apples. Try it yourself and you will know exactly what I am talking off.
This is also a gluten free apple crisp recipe. Although if you have no issues with gluten you can always use the ingredients that are readily available at home.
Gluten-Free Apple Crisp Ingredients
Instant Pot Apple Crisp Recipe
The two main steps involved in making the crumble in the Instant Pot first and then making the sweet cinnamon apples with a thick delicious sauce. Below is just a gist of the steps involved. You can find the detailed recipe in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Step 1 - Making the crumble is pretty straight forward. You literally have to dump in all the ingredients –oats, flour, butter, brown sugar, and spices and sauté for a couple minutes for the butter and brown sugar to coat the crumble well. Allow the crumble to cool and become crisp. Since this recipe is a gluten free apple crisp recipe, I have shared brand of gluten free oats and flour I have used, in the recommended products below.
Step 2 - Prepare Cinnamon Apples, while the crumble is crisping. Remember the Instant Pot Cinnamon Apple Pie filling recipe I posted a few weeks, I make the same cinnamon apples except that I just thicken the sauce for the crisp. Incase you missed the recipe, you can find the recipe here.
Enjoy it as a treat or breakfast, you will never be disappointed.
Top it off with whipped cream or ice cream or simply just enjoy it as an oatmeal.
Best Apples for Apple Crisp
You are looking for two things in an apple when making an apple crisp.
First the apples need to hold their texture and not get mushy when pressure cooked. You can use any varieties like Granny Smith, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Gala, Honeycrisp or Pink Lady. I have used Gala apples in this recipe.
Second, they need to be sweet-tart for the best flavors.
Storing and Freezing this Apple Crisp
What I love about this apple crisp recipe is that it can be easily stored.
If you have intentionally prepared a large batch of cinnamon apples and the crisp crumble then it’s best to store them individually. You can whip up a comfort bowl or an individual portion in a jiffy by just adding your crumble as a topping to the cinnamon apples.
The cinnamon apples can be stored individually in the refrigerator in an air tight container for about a week and in the freezer for upto 3 months.
If you have leftovers of the apples with the crisp, you can refrigerate it for upto a week too.
Tips for making the best Apple Crisp in an Instant Pot
- Use sweet tart apples that hold up their texture like – Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Gala, Honeycrisp or Pink Lady.
- Although I have used Bob’s Red Mill’s Gluten Free Oats, if gluten-free is not a criteria for you, use old fashioned oats in this recipe to hold up their texture.
- Preferably use brown sugar as it gives a richer flavor and nicely thickens the sauce. However if you want to replace brown sugar for other alternatives you can use honey, monk fruit extract, maple syrup and stevia but these alternatives will not yield you a super crisp crumble.
WHEN YOU TRY THIS APPLE CRISP RECIPE
Don’t forget to take a picture and send it our way. You can tag us on Instagram@dbellyrulesdmind
We would love to hear your thoughts on this recipe, so come back and leave us a review below and rate the recipe.
If you liked this recipe, share it with your friends and family.
We are social to connect with us and stay tuned to our recipes make you you follow us on
MORE APPLE RECIPES
For Crumble Topping
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
Instant Pot Cinnamon Apples
- Make the crumble topping - Using the Saute function on the pressure cooker, melt the butter and throw in all the ingredients for the crumble topping. Stir for 2-3 minutes until the ingredients are well coated with the sugar, butter and flour. Remove the crumble aside and allow it to crisp as it cools.
- Make Cinnamon Apples - You can either refer to the detailed recipe here or follow the instructions below. Wash the inner pot before making the cinnamon apples to make sure inner pot is free of any caramelized clusters. Again using the Saute function , melt the butter and throw in all the ingredients for cinnamon apples. Gently stir to combine all the ingredients together. Close the lid and seal the vent. Pressure cook on high for 1 min followed by a quick release. Once you open the lid, thicken the sauce by continuing to cook it on saute mode., until you reach your desired consistency.
- Assemble the Apple Crisp - Once the crumble and the cinnamon apples are ready, scoop out cinnamon apples either in individual cups or your dessert bowl and generously sprinkle the crumble topping on the apples. Your apple crisp is ready. Refer to serving ideas in the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
365 Everyday Value, Organic Light Brown Sugar , 24 oz
McCormick Gourmet Organic Ground Nutmeg, 1.81 oz
Simply Organic, Cinnamon, 2.45 oz
Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter - Unsalted (8 ounce)
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Old Fashioned Rolled Oats, 32 Ounce (Pack of 4)
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour, 22 Ounce (Pack of 4)
Mealthy MultiPot 9-in-1 Programmable Slow and Pressure Cooker
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer