Instant Pot Butternut Squash Risotto, a warm comforting main or a side that is so quick and easy to make in an electric pressure cooker. Creamy and delicious with minimal hands on cooking and just 6 minutes of cook time. Vegan. Gluten-Free. A must-try!!!
What is Butternut Squash Risotto
We love Butternut Squash, because of it’s sweet nutty flavor and also nutrition. That’s why after the Butternut Squash Soup, Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese, Roasted Butternut Squash and Lentil Salad, it was time to make some Butternut Squash Risotto.
Butternut Squash Risotto is a preparation where arborio rice and butternut squash are cooked in broth and seasonings until a creamy consistency. Traditionally, the rice is slow cooked by gradually adding liquid to cook it, which makes the whole preparation very time consuming. It’s a warm comforting meal and you can use seasonal veggies to make your risotto. If you have tried our Mushroom Risotto recipe, you will know why it’s a frequent meal in our homes.
Why Instant Pot Butternut Squash Risotto
If you haven’t tried making risotto in your electric pressure cookers yet, then I say, what are you waiting for?
It’s quick and easy with barely any effort compared to cook risotto the traditional way and yet it’s delicious. Honestly cooking risotto in an electric pressure cooker, saves a lot of time yielding the perfect textures and flavors.
It’s pretty much dumping the onions, garlic and sage with a quick saute, followed by throwing in the rice, butternut squash, cooking wine, broth some salt and pressure cooking it. In just 6 minutes you have a comforting bowl of risotto ready to be served as a main or a side. No more continuous stirring and baby sitting, it’s such a time saver. Try it yourself!!!
Once you try this recipe you can also try our Mushroom Risotto recipe.
Butternut Squash Risotto Ingredients
You don’t need any fancy ingredients to make this recipe.
- Butternut squash – If you plan to use a a fresh butternut squash, here is how to cut butternut squash into cubes. Or you can use pre-cut cubes or frozen butternut squash from the store.
- Olive oil – You need this to saute the onions, garlic and sage. If you are not particularly vegan you can also substitute this for butter.
- Onions – Adding caramelized onions to any recipe always enhances the flavors.
- Garlic – Another flavor booster. Mind you risotto is not super garlicky, you should be able to enjoy the mild flavors of garlic and other ingredients.
- Sage – you can use fresh or dried sage
- Arborio rice – This is your risotto rice. If you are making risotto, this is the rice you need to be using. Please do not try making this recipe with another variety of rice as it won’t yield you the same results.
- Cooking wine – Adding wine to risotto definitely enhances the flavor. Cooking wines are not as potent as regular wines. They will still enhance the flavors without leaving alcohol in the food. If you don;t have cooking wine handy you could use any other wine such as Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc or Unoaked Chardonnay.
- Broth or water – If I have broth I prefer to use it as it always adds flavor to the meal, but water is fine too.
- Cheese – You can either add vegan cheese or skip it completely. It’s optional.
How to make Butternut Squash Risotto in Instant Pot
Making Butternut Squash Risotto in your electric pressure cookers is very easy. Here is a gist of the of entire process however you can find the detailed recipe with measurements in the recipe card below.
Step 1 : Gather the ingredients mentioned above.
Step 2 : Saute – Using the saute function, heat the oil and dump in the onions, garlic and sage. Saute for a couple minutes until the onions change the color.
Step 3 : Pressure Cook – Throw in the butternut squash cubes and rice. Add in the cooking wine, broth or water and some salt. Close the lid, seal the vent and pressure cook for 6 minutes.
Step 4 : Manually release the pressure. Carefully open the lid. If you want to add vegan cheese add it now. Give it a stir and it’s ready to be served. It will start thickening once the lid is opened.
Can I store this Butternut Squash Risotto
It’s best to consume the risotto fresh and warm. However if you do have leftovers you can always store it in air tight containers that can be refrigerated to frozen.
Can I freeze this Butternut Squash Risotto
Ideally you don’t freeze risotto because because when you reheat the risotto the texture changes. However if you do have excess leftovers you can freeze it and reheat it by adding a little broth to the risotto while heating it again.
WHEN YOU TRY THIS BUTTERNUT SQUASH RISOTTO RECIPE
Don’t forget to take a picture and send it our way. You can tag us on Instagram@dbellyrulesdmind
We would love to hear how they turned out for you so don’t forget to come back and leave us a review below and rate the recipe.
If you liked this recipe, share it with your friends and family.
We are social to connect with us and stay tuned to our recipes make you you follow us on
More Butternut Squash Recipes
MORE FALL RECIPES
Step 1 : Gather the ingredients mentioned above.
Step 2 : Saute - Using the saute function, heat the oil and dump in the onions, garlic and sage. Saute for a couple minutes until the onions change the color.
Step 3 : Pressure Cook - Throw in the butternut squash cubes and rice. Add in the cooking wine, broth or water and some salt. Close the lid, seal the vent and pressure cook for 6 minutes.
Step 4 : Manually release pressure. Carefully open the lid. If you want to add vegan cheese add it now. Give it a stir and it's ready to be served.
Refer to the post's Ingredient section for
Cooking wine versus White Wine
Naturally pressure release versus manual release
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Mealthy MultiPot 9-in-1 Programmable Slow and Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
- Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
- 365 Everyday Value, Organic Vegetable Broth, 48 fl oz
- Arborio Rice 2lb (2 pound)
- Bertolli 100% Pure Olive Oil Mild Taste