This Easy Apple Crumble Recipe has all the flavors of fall in one cozy dish. Its sweet, crumbly topping and delicious filling will delight anyone who tries it. Easy enough for beginner bakers to make to impress friends and family!
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES
What is Apple crumble?
Apple crumble is a traditional autumnal dessert that takes all the flavor of an apple pie and takes out the fuss. Like apple pie, it has a filling and a crumb topping, but you don’t have to spend a lot of time making a crust.
It is a great, simple way to enjoy the flavors of fall without having to fuss with a pie crust.
Apple Crumble Video Recipe
The Best Apple Crumble
Our apple crumble is the best recipe you will come across. It uses a mixture of traditional spices, tart apples, and sugar for the right amount of sweetness.
Also, you can make our recipe in either the oven or air fryer. Both are great and easy options to use to make this apple dessert. And if you use the air fryer, it frees up your oven so you can prepare other goodies for get togethers during the fall season.
What you’ll need for this Apple Crumble recipe
When you are ready to make the best apple crumble recipe ever, you’ll need the following ingredients for the filling and crumble topping.
For the filling, you’ll need:
Granny Smith Apples - You could use any tart variety of apple that you might use in an apple pie or other baking dish.
White flour - All you need is a basic all purpose flour. You may be able to use a gluten free variety if you need to avoid gluten.
Light brown sugar - In a pinch, you could use dark brown sugar.
Lemon juice - This helps to bring out the flavors and works best with freshly squeezed juice.
Cinnamon powder - You can use your preferred brand.
And then for the crumble, you’ll need:
Rolled oats - Rolled oats give the best texture, but you might be able to use steel cut. Just make sure you avoid instant oats.
White flour - Again, a regular all purpose or gluten free variety can work for the topping.
Brown sugar - You can use either light or dark.
Baking powder - This helps give the slightest bit of rise to the crumble top.
Cinnamon powder - The cinnamon powder gives the crumble a bit of spiciness to it that you expect from baked goods in the fall.
Unsalted butter - Avoid salted butter for this recipe.
Pinch of salt - The tiny bit of salt helps the flavors pop a bit.
And no apple crumble is complete without some vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, or whipped cream on top. For a real treat, you can try all three!
How to make easy Baked apple crumble
- When you want to make the apple crumble in the oven, start by preheating the oven to 350F/180C.
- As it heats, peel the apples and then cut them into small cubes.
- Once the apples are ready, toss them in a large bowl and mix them together with lemon juice, sugars, cinnamon, and flour.
- Next, spread the apple mixture evenly into a 1.5 quart baking dish.
- When the apples are spread out, combine crumble ingredients in a large bowl, using your hands to combine butter until crumbly. Be patient! This takes a few minutes. Once it is crumbly, sprinkle it over top of the apple mixture.
- Place the tray in the oven and then bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until bubbly and caramelized.
- Finally, serve with whipped cream, ice cream, or caramel sauce and enjoy it warm from the oven.
How to make Air fryer or Instant pot air fry lid apple crumble
- To make the apple crumble in the air fryer or air fryer lid , first, preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F. As it heats, butter two (4 oz) ramekins or the size fits in your air fryer
- As the air fryer heats, peel the apples and then cut them into small cubes.
- Once the apples are ready, toss them in a large bowl and mix them together with lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Next, spread the apple mixture evenly into the ramekins.
- When the apples are ready, combine the crumble ingredients in a large bowl, using your hands to combine butter until crumbly. Be patient! This takes a few minutes. Once it is crumbly, sprinkle it over top of the ramekins.
- Next, carefully place the ramekins in the air fryer for 25 minutes or until bubbly and caramelized on top
- Finally, enjoy warm with a scoop of ice cream, caramel topping, or whipped cream!
Pro tips and tricks
When you make this easy apple crumble recipe, follow these tips for best results:
It is easiest to use your hands to mix the butter into the crumble topping.
Serve with your favorite toppings like ice cream, whipped cream, or a caramel sauce.
Don’t forget to butter or spray your dishes to help prevent it from sticking to the dish as it cooks.
Use the cooking method that works best for you, but if you are in a rush, use the air fryer.
If you love using your Instant Pot, you can try our Easy Instant Pot Apple Crisp Recipe instead!
How to store apple crumble
Apple crumble tastes best when served fresh from the oven. If you do have left overs, you should place them in an airtight container and then place it in the fridge.
To serve leftovers, we recommend placing them in the oven at 325 until warmed through. You could also warm up an individual serving in the microwave.
How long does apple crumble last
When you store the apple crumble in the fridge, it should last about 3 to 5 days. You can definitely make this ahead if you like, but it does taste best when fresh from the oven.
Toppings for apple crumble
When you make this easy apple crumble, you can use these simple toppings for added flavor and texture:
Sprinkle with walnuts or your favorite nuts
Top with toasted walnuts
Vanilla ice cream
What kind of apples can I use to make apple crumble
The best apples for pies and baked goods are tart, crispy ones. When most people bake, they use Granny smith apples because they are a great combination of crisp and tart.
Some other apples you could try include:
Do I need to peel the apples?
We prefer peeling the apples, but it is not required.
Some people like having the peel in their crumble, but it does not drastically alert the recipe. If you prefer, you can skip peeling the apples.
Do I need the ramekins?
When making the recipe in an air fryer, they are very helpful due to their smaller size. A regular sized baking dish won’t fit in the basket of most air fryers.
If you use the oven, you can use ramekins for smaller, individual portions, but you can also use a larger baking dish like we do.
How do I bake / air fry apple crumble in ramekins
- To bake or air fry the apple crumble in ramekins, follow the instructions for making the apples and crumble. When you are ready, butter or spray the ramekins so the filling does not stick.
- Then, when they are ready, you can add the ramekins as you would a baking dish. In the oven, heat it to 350 degrees and then bake for about 40 to 50 minutes or until bubbly on top. In the air fryer, heat it to 375 and fry for 25 minutes or until bubbly on top.
Serve warm and enjoy!
More Delicious Desserts
Let us know what you think
If you make this delicious recipe, let us know how it went! When you make this, be sure to take a pic and tag us on Instagram @dbellyrulesdmind or Facebook @thebellyrulesthemind!
- APPLE FILLING
- White flour - 1 tbsp.
- Light brown sugar - 1/2 cup
- Granny Smith Apples (green apples) - 4-5
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp.
- Cinnamon powder - 1 teaspoon
- Rolled oats - 1 cup
- White flour - 1 cup
- Brown sugar (loosely packed) - 1 cup
- Baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder - 1 teaspoon
- Unsalted butter, melted - 1/2 cup
- Pinch of salt
- Vanilla ice cream
- caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Peel apples, then cut into 1.5cm cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine diced apples with lemon juice, sugars, cinnamon, and flour. Spread it evenly into a 1.5 quart baking
- In a separate bowl, combine crumble ingredients. Use
hands to combine butter until crumbly (this takes a few minutes).
- Sprinkle over top of apple mixtures.
- Bake in a 375-degree oven for 45-50 minutes, until bubbly and caramelized.
- Enjoy warm with a scoop of ice cream!
Air fryer and Instant pot Air fryer Lid Instructions
- Preheat air fryer to 375* F. Butter two (4 0z) ramakins or the size that fits in your air fryer
- Add the prepared apple mix in it and sprinkle the crumble on top
- Air fryer it on 375* F for 25 minutes, until bubbly and caramelized
- Enjoy warm with a scoop of ice cream!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mealthy CrispLid for Pressure Cooker - Turns your Pressure Cooker into an Air Fryer - Air fry, Crisp or Broil fits 6 & 8 Q Pot Basket, Trivet, Silicone Mat, Tongs plus Instant access Free Recipe App
HIC Ramekins, Fine White Porcelain Souffle, 3-Inch, 4-Ounce Capacity, Set of 6
Instant Pot Vortex 6-Quart 4-in-1 Air Fryer
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Old Fashioned Rolled Oats, 32 Ounce (Pack of 4)
McCormick Ground Cinnamon