The easiest and most delicious Instant Pot Asparagus with Garlic Lemon and Pepper. Bye bye mushy, soggy, or undercooked pressure cooker Asparagus. You will love just the perfectly crispy tender texture of this Instant Pot Asparagus that is ready in less than 15 minutes. Can be made Vegan. Fits Keto and Low-Carb Diet. 1 minute Video Recipe Are you ready for it?
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
What is Asparagus
Asparagus is a popular nutrient dense vegetable that originated in Greece 2500 years ago. Back then it was used as a natural medicine. Later it became popular for it's delicate and distinct flavor. Asparagus is a Greek word that means stalk or shoot.
There are many varieties of Asparagus found across the globe. The most popular American / British variety is green in color. The French Asparagus is purple in color while the German/ Spanish Asparagus is white in color.
Irrespective of the color, it's easy to recognize as it has long pointed spears.
It's definitely one impressive vegetable as it virtually contains no fat and is super low in calories with each uncooked spear being approximately 5 calories only. Yet it packed with vitamins and minerals. being super low carb and no sodium at all. So you better pack more asparagus into your diet.
You can grill, steam or even roast Asparagus. I like them all, however I recently fell in love with how easy it is to flavor and steam Asparagus in the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Asparagus
7 reasons why you will love this Instant Pot Asparagus Garlic Lemon Pepper
- It's super easy to make and yet delicious but packed with lemony garlicky and buttery flavors
- It's ready in under 15 minutes start to end.
- It's a great way to to pack more asparagus into your diet. Read why in the paragraph above.
- It's perfectly cooked to the crispy tender texture. No mushy, soggy or undercooked Asparagus
- Gluten-Free and can be made Vegan.
- Fits a Keto and Low Carb Diet.
- Beginner or not, it's a great recipe to try.
When is Asparagus season
Although it's available all year round, spring is when you can relish the best harvested crops. Depending on your location, the warmer states in America will start seeing freshly harvested Asparagus from Late February to June. However the colder states in America they are in season from March to April. In Canada it's April To July. While here in Germany, the Asparagus season is from April to June.
No farmer's market in Germany is complete with Asparagus (Spargel in German) that time of the year.
Tips to buy Asparagus
When buying Asparagus, pick fresh, bright green, firm and crisp stalks with tightly closed tips. The stiffer the stock the better they will hold their shape.
Asparagus also comes in three different sizes. Pencil thin, medium (thickness of your fingers) and thick. It's best to pick the medium ones if you can.
Time and settings to cook Asparagus in Instant Pot
After cooking Asparagus several times in the Instant Pot with different settings, thickness and times I have realized for best results,
Pencil Thin Asparagus : Low Pressure 0 minutes followed by Quick Release.
Medium Asparagus : Low Pressure 1 minute followed by Quick Release.
Thick Asparagus : Low pressure 2 minutes followed by Quick Release.
Instant Pot Asparagus Ingredients
Here is just a gist of the ingredients, the actual measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Butter or Olive Oil
How to cook Instant Pot Asparagus with Garlic Lemon Pepper
Pressure cooking Asparagus in the Instant Pot is sure easy. It's literally a dump and go recipe.Here is just a gist of the steps involved in the recipe. You can find the measurements and details in the recipe card below.
- Prepare the ingredients - Gather your ingredients and tools. You will need an Instant Pot or an electric pressure cooker. A trivet and a steamer basket. Wash the Asparagus in warm water making sure you get rid of any dirt stuck on the spears specially. Slice the lemon. Chop the garlic. Keep the butter knobs ready or use olive oil for vegan options. Gather you salt, water and pepper too. You will need a cup of water too. Trim the end of the asparagus to fit the steamer basket.
- Arrange the steamer rack - Evenly place the Asparagus spears in the steamer basket. Place the butter nobs and lemon slices on top of the Asparagus. Evenly sprinkle the chopped garlic on the Asparagus too. Crush the black pepper and salt.
- Pressure cook - Add a cup of water to the inner pot. Place a trivet in the inner pot. Place the arranged steamer basket on the trivet. Close the lid, seal the vent and pressure cook on Low Pressure depending on the thickness of the Asparagus. The time will vary 0 to 2 minutes depending on the thickness followed by a Quick Pressure Release. It will take about 10-12 minutes for the pressure to build. In less than 15 minutes you will have your Instant Pot Asparagus with Garlic Lemon Pepper Ready.
Note : If you want to add you own seasoning you can skip the seasonings above and just follow the cooking times listed above.
How to store left over Pressure Cooker Asparagus
If you have left over pressure cooked Asparagus, you can refrigerate them in air tight containers for upto 3 days.
How many calories are in Asparagus
Each uncooked Asparagus spear has approximately 5 calories. Yes, that's it!!!
Asparagus cooked in Instant Pot makes an awesome side dish. You can even add it to you salads or power bowls. They go well with grains too.
When you try this recipe don't forget to come back and leave us comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out. Pin this recipe for later and don’t forget to share your photo and tag us on Instagram @dbellyrulesdmind.
- Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
- Perfectly Tender Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts
- Instant Pot Popcorn
- Instant Pot Black Bean / Kidney Beans / Chickpeas
- Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- Instant Pot Quinoa
- Instant Pot Lentils
- Instant Pot Rice
- Green Asparagus, 1 Bunch
- water 1 cup
- butter knobs or olive oil, 1 tablespoon
- garlic cloves, 2 chopped
- lemon 1, sliced
- crushed black pepper, 1 tablespoon
- Prepare the ingredients by washing the Asparagus thoroughly, chopping the garlic cloves, prepping the butter knobs and slicing the lemons.
- Evenly place the Asparagus spears in the steamer basket.
- Place the butter nobs and lemon slices on top of the Asparagus.
- Evenly sprinkle the chopped garlic crushed pepper and salt on the Asparagus.
- Add a cup of water to the inner pot.
- Place a trivet in the inner pot.
- Place the arranged steamer basket on the trivet.
- Close the lid, seal the vent and pressure cook on Low Pressure depending on the thickness of the Asparagus.
Pencil Thin Asparagus : Low Pressure 0 minutes + Quick Release
Medium Asparagus : Low Pressure 1 minute + Quick Release.
Thick Asparagus : Low pressure 2 minutes + Quick Release.
Enjoy them warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Morton Salt Iodized Sea Salt, 26 oz, 2 pk
McCormick Black Peppercorn Grinder, 2.5 oz
Steamer Rack Trivet with Handles Compatible for Instant Pot 6 & 8 qt Accessories - Great for Lifting out Springform Pan / Cheesecake Pan
Steamer Basket Stainless Steel Vegetable Steamer Basket Folding Steamer Insert for Veggie Fish Seafood Cooking, Expandable to Fit Various Size Pot (5.1" to 9")
Mealthy MultiPot 9-in-1 Programmable Slow and Pressure Cooker
Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer