Being born and brought up in Mumbai, we were exposed to a lot of different cuisines, however I have to say that one cannot beat the taste of gujarati snacks like Dhokla , Dabeli & Kandvi. So today I present to you a fasting / faraali version of a famous savory Gujarati snack Khandvi. I think the soft, smooth and melting flavor of Khandvi gels perfectly with a cup of tea in the morning or evening. For those of you who are not fasting, this is an excellent variation from the regular Gram flour. Again made using the superfood Amaranth. Do try it right away if you have this flour in your pantry or write this item down in your shopping list for your next trip to the grocery store.
Benefits of Amaranth flour ( Superfood):
One reason amaranth is emerging into the forefront among grains is because of its remarkable nutrition. It’s higher in minerals, such as calcium, iron, phosphorous, and carotenoids, than most vegetables.
- 1 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/2 cup amaranth / rajgira flour
- 2 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- rock salt to taste/sendha namak
- 1 cup yogurt /dahi
- 1/4 tsp oil for greasing
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds /zeera
- 1 tsp sesame seeds / til
- cilantro/coriander to garnish
- 2 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- Combine the arrowroot flour, rajgira flour, ginger-green chilli paste, rock salt, yogurt and 1-1/2 cups of water together in a bowl and mix well.
- Heat a non stick pan cook on a slow flame, while stirring continuously, till the mixture becomes thick ….Be Patient 🙂 it will take around 10 mins.
- Spread a spoonful of the batter on the reverse side of a greased plate/thali and wait for a few seconds and try to roll up. If it doesn’t then cook for few more minutes and try once more to roll up.
- Spread evenly to make a thin uniform layer using a spatula or a old credit card while the mixture is still hot.
- Evenly spread shredded coconut and cilantro on the khandvi
- When cool, make cuts of about 2” lengthwise on each plate/thali and roll it up each carefully.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds,sesame seeds and green chillies
Pour the tempering over the khandvis.
- Garnish with coconut and coriander/Optional and serve with green chutney .