These potatoes are a tasty take on traditional mashed potatoes. When you make these mashed potatoes with red skin, you get an incredible flavor and texture. They make the perfect side dish or base for your next meal that your family will love.
Come JOIN US on our FACEBOOK group and be a part of our community and discuss various recipes, tips and tricks.
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES
- Mashed Red Potato Video Recipe
- Mashed red potatoes with skin
- What do mashed red potatoes taste like?
- Ingredients to make a mashed red potatoes with skin recipe
- Are red potatoes good for mashing
- Do I peel the red potato skin?
- How to make red skin mashed potatoes?
- Pro Tips to make the best mashed potatoes with skin
- What to serve with these mashed potatoes
- How to store mashed potatoes with red skin
- Can I refrigerate mashed red potatoes
- Reheating mashed potatoes with red skin
- Other great recipes to try
- Let us know what you think
- About Anvita
- Mashed Red Potato Recipe
Mashed Red Potato Video Recipe
Mashed red potatoes with skin
Red potatoes mashed are a great take on regular mashed potatoes. Red potatoes have a very creamy consistency when mashed. The red peels also provide extra texture, flavor, and nutrients to the potatoes.
We add additional seasonings to our red mashed potatoes by adding in some rosemary, garlic, and parsley. They taste a lot like roasted potatoes but have the creamy consistency you love from mashed potatoes.
What do mashed red potatoes taste like?
They are very similar to other mashed potatoes. They have a creamy texture and easily pick up the flavors that you add to the mashed potatoes with red potatoes or that you pile on top of them.
Ingredients to make a mashed red potatoes with skin recipe
When you want to make red skin mashed potatoes, you’ll need:
- Red potatoes
- Vegetable stock - If you prefer, you can use water, but veggie stock gives it a bit more flavor.
- Garlic cloves - If you really like garlic, you can add more.
- Butter - You could use an oil if you want to keep it vegan.
- Ground black pepper and salt- You can add as much as you like of each.
- Fresh parsley - The red potatoes mashed with parsley gives them a bit of a fresh flavor and nice garnish.
- Rosemary- Gives the potatoes some extra, comforting flavor.
Are red potatoes good for mashing
Yes! They make the perfect potato for mashing and serving with your favorite main course. You can also pile them high with your favorite roast veggies or smother them in gravies and sauces.
Do I peel the red potato skin?
While you certainly can peel the potato skins, most people keep the skins on these potatoes when making this version of mashed potatoes. The skins are easy to chew and provide a bit of extra texture and flavor to the mashed potatoes, so they are worth keep on.
How to make red skin mashed potatoes?
Before making red skin mashed potatoes, make sure to thoroughly wash and scrub the potatoes. You want to remove the dirt and debris since the skin will be part of the mash!
Once you have the skin cleaned, you’ll want to follow these easy steps:
- First, cut the potatoes into quarters and then add them to the Instant Pot.
- Next, pour the vegetable stock in and then sprinkle with salt in the pot.
- Once you add in the liquid, close the lid and pressure cook for 12 minutes followed by a quick release of the pressure.
- As the potatoes cook, add the melted butter in a saucepan and then saute the minced garlic on low heat for 2 minutes or until the garlic browns. Place the garlic aside.
- Once the potatoes have cooked, use a potato masher to mash the potatoes to your desired consistency. The longer you mix, the more mashed they will become.
- Finally, add the garlic butter, pepper, parsley, and rosemary to the mashed potatoes and stir well. Serve warm and enjoy.
When we make our garlic red potatoes mash, we add in rosemary, parsley, and garlic. If you are looking for other variations, check out some of these other add ons:
- Make plain red mashed potatoes with no added seasonings
- Load up on garlic
- Roast the garlic first and then mash it into the red potatoes
- Add in cheeses like parmesan, gruyere, or other creamy cheeses
Pro Tips to make the best mashed potatoes with skin
When you want to make the best mashed potatoes with red skin, follow these easy tips:
- Make sure to clean them thoroughly since the skins will be in the mashed potatoes.
- You can add as much other seasonings as you like to give them flavors to match what you are pairing them with or compliment what they are pairing with.
- You may find that using a hand mixer makes it easier to mash.
What to serve with these mashed potatoes
Mashed potatoes with red potatoes go great with anything you would serve regular mashed potatoes with. They make a great side or even a base for a lot of entrees.
For instance, we like to serve roasted veggies over the red mashed potatoes. You can also pair them with a lot of different masalas, gravies, and sauce heavy Indian meals.
How to store mashed potatoes with red skin
If you have left overs, you can store the mashed potatoes with skin in an airtight container in the fridge. They should stay fresh for about 3 to 5 days. Before storing, allow them to cool to help prevent condensation.
Can I refrigerate mashed red potatoes
Yes, you can make these potatoes ahead of time and store them in the fridge. They should stay fresh for about 3 to 5 days. Just allow them to cool before sealing them in the container to reduce condensation.
Reheating mashed potatoes with red skin
To reheat these potatoes, you’ll likely want to add a splash of milk or some melted butter. This will help rehydrate them as you heat them up and prevent them from drying out.
These potatoes are easy to reheat when covered in the microwave. They only need a few minutes to warm them through. Just stir them occasionally so they heat evenly.
Other great recipes to try
When you are hungry for other great potatoes, sides, or snacks, check out these easy recipes:
- Avocado Fries
- Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- Apple Chips
- Air Fryer Pickles
- Baked potatoes
- Potato Salad
- Potato Chips
Let us know what you think
If you make this delicious recipe, let us know how it went! When you make this, be sure to take a pic and tag us on Instagram @dbellyrulesdmind or Facebook @thebellyrulesthemind!
Hi! I’m Anvita, the founder of The Belly Rules The Mind. I was born and raised in India but now I reside in the United States.
I love to travel and experience different cultures and cuisines. Having lived in different countries across the globe like, India, Australia, Germany and United States has taught to enjoy and appreciate culinary experiences. I believe that food brings people together.
As a self taught cook, I am always trying new recipes and variations to see what tantalizes my family's tastebuds. I am always trying to replicate meals from around the world that we have cherished. Hope you enjoy them too. Read more
Mashed Red Potato Recipe
Mashed red potatoes are a tasty take on traditional mashed potatoes. When you make these mashed potatoes with red skin, you get an incredible flavor and texture. They make the perfect side dish or base for your next meal that your family will love.
- Medium Red potatoes 7
- Vegetable stock 1 cup
- Garlic cloves 4, peeled and minced
- Butter 3 tbsp
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Fresh parsley chopped 3 tbsp
- Rosemary, finely chopped 1 tbsp
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.