Air fryer homemade granola recipe is a healthy and tasty alternative to store bought versions.. One bite and you will understand why making your own at home is worth it every time. And our wholesome version is full of the subtly sweet flavor you know and love gives you control over how much sugar and oil you use. This way you know you can serve your family a bowl of homemade granola for breakfast and have confidence that you are getting their day started off right!
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
What is Granola?
Granola is a versatile and healthy snack, breakfast, lunch, or even part of a dessert. It consists of a mixture of oats, nuts, dried fruit, a neutral oil, and sweeteners.
When you buy it at the store, it is often high in saturated fats, sugar, and artificial preservatives. Homemade granola has no added sugar or preservatives. You can also choose to use healthy oils and can use as much or as little sugar as you like.
What ingredients are needed to make Granola at home?
When you want to make the best tasting granola you have ever had, you’ll need to gather these supplies:
- Canola oil - If you don’t have that, try to stick to another neutral oil, like coconut or olive oil.
- Maple syrup - You could use honey or rice malt / brown rice syrup instead.
- Ground cinnamon
- Old-fashioned rolled oats - You could use steel cut, but avoid instant varieties.
- Coconut flakes
- Sliced almonds.
- Dried fruits - We use cranberry, raisins, and apricots, but you could use just about any dried fruit you like.
Why make Granola at home from scratch?
Homemade granola is a tasty, easy to make treat that everyone in your family will love. It takes only a few minutes to put together and bake or air fry.
It is a healthy option for those looking for healthy snacks or ways to make your breakfast or lunch more satisfying but still good for you. When you make this recipe at home, you can control the oil you use and how much sugar you add. That’s something you can’t do when you buy store bought varieties!
If you make more than one batch, making it at home will save you money.
Also, you are in complete creative control! You don’t like raisins? Don’t add them! You want more fruit, you can add more of any variety you like. Don’t be afraid to experiment a little and add other flavors that will make the granola your perfect recipe.
How to make Homemade Granola
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Next, combine the oats, nuts, salt and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Stir to blend.
Once the ingredients are mixed, pour in the oil and maple syrup. Mix until all the oats and nuts are lightly coated and then pour the granola onto your prepared pan. Finally, use a large spoon to spread it in an even layer.
Next, place the pan in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. The granola is ready when it turns golden-brown and the almonds have toasted. When you take it out of the oven, it will still feel wet but will dry as it cools.
Once it is out of the oven, sprinkle with your favorite dried fruits or leave it without fruit.
Finally, let the granola cool completely, undisturbed for at least 45 minutes. Break the granola into pieces with your hands if you want big chunks or stir it around with a spoon if you do not want extra-clumpy granola.
Serve in your favorite yogurt, as a cereal, or as a snack.
Pro tips and tricks
When you make this recipe, follow these easy tips and tricks:
- Make sure to keep the sweetener and oil in a roughly 50/50 mix so it has equal parts of each.
- Press down on the granola as it cools to make it extra crispy.
- Add additional nuts, seeds, and fruits to make the granola taste great to you.
How to make this easy granola in an Air Fryer?
- First, mix the ingredients as described in the how to make section.
- Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper and then pour out the granola mixture. Use a spoon to make an even layer.
- Next, cook at 180C / 350F for 10 minutes. Make sure to stop it every few minutes to give it a good stir. The granola is done when the mixture turns golden brown.
- Finally, remove the granola from the air fryer basket using the edges of the parchment paper and lay out on the counter to cool completely.
How to store healthy granola?
When you make this recipe, you can store it one of two ways.
The first is to scoop cooled granola into an airtight container, seal it, and leave on the counter for 1 to 2 weeks. This is the best option if you plan to eat it all within a week or two.
If you want to make a big batch or store some for later then you can freeze it. To freeze it, allow the granola to cool completely and then place in a freezer safe container or bag. Before freezing, squeeze as much of the air out as possible.
It should stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to use, allow it to thaw on the counter or in the fridge.
How long does this easy homemade granola last
When you store the granola in an airtight container at room temperature, it will last about 1 to 2 weeks. But if you store it in the freezer, it will last for about 3 months.
What nuts can I add to homemade Granola?
A healthy granola has one or more nut varieties mixed in. Nuts or seeds can add flavor, good fat, and protein. Some have added fiber and other nutrients that make them well worth adding. Some ideas to get you started include:
- chia seeds
You can leave them whole, slice, or dice them.
How can I make Granola chunks / clumps?
The good news is, it doesn’t take much! All you need to do to make the granola chunky or break up in clumps is to first push it down on granola on the pan or in the air fryer basket. The last step is to mix the granola halfway through cooking.
That’s it! You should have clumps of granola when you break it apart, which are perfect for eating as a cereal or adding to your favorite homemade yogurt.
What dry fruits can I add to this Air Fryer Granola Recipe?
Like nuts and seeds, you can add just about any dried fruit you like. This can include:
Each fruit adds a new flavor and a bit of sweetness. Also, if you are concerned about added sugar, look for varieties that do not use a lot of sugar when they dry the fruit.
How do I eat these Granola?
One of the nice things about granola is that you can serve them a variety of ways. Here are some of our favorites:
- Snack - nothing special here, just grab a handful and eat it as is
- Cereal - as a breakfast, you can pour a bowl of granola and use your preferred milk to make a breakfast cereal
- Fruit Parfait - Yogurt mix in - add this granola to your favorite yogurt
- Granola bars - create granola bars out of them to avoid store bought, overly sugary versions
- Baked goods - try adding them to muffins or other baked good for added flavor and crunch
Let us know what you think
If you make this delicious recipe, let us know how it went! When you make this, be sure to take a pic and tag us on Instagram @dbellyrulesdmind or Facebook @thebellyrulesthemind!
- Canola oil or other neutral oil, such as coconut or olive oil - 1/2 cup
- Maple syrup OR you could use honey or rice malt / brown rice syrup instead- 1/2 cup
- Ground cinnamon - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Old-fashioned rolled oats - 3 cups
- Coconut flakes - 1/2 cup
- Sliced almonds. - 1 cup
- Dried fruits (cranberry, raisins, apricots) - 1/2 cup
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts, salt and cinnamon. Stir to
- Pour in the oil and maple syrup. Mix well, until every oat and nut are lightly coated.
- Pour the granola onto your prepared pan and use a large spoon to spread it in an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. The granola is ready when golden-brown and the almonds have toasted — it will still feel wet coming out of the oven but will dry as it cools.
- Sprinkle with dried fruits of your choice cranberries, if desired.
- Let the granola cool completely, undisturbed (at least 45 minutes). Top with the dried fruit (and optional chocolate chips, if using). Break the granola into pieces with your hands if you want to retain big chunks or stir it around with a spoon if you do not want extra-clumpy granola.
Air Fryer Instructions
- First, mix the ingredients as described in the how to make section.
- Line air fryer basket with parchment paper. Pour out the granola mixture and level with a spoon into an even layer.
- Cook on 180C / 350F for 10 minutes, stopping every few minutes to give it a good stir. The granola is done when the mixture is golden brown.
- Remove the granola from the air fryer basket carefully using the edges of the parchment paper and lay out on the counter to cool completely.