Grilled sandwich AND Healthy? OH Yes ! Let me deceive your taste buds with a little twist on the grilled sandwich. While you and your kids devour this Grilled falafel Cheese Sandwich, just smile knowing they’re getting whole grains, calcium, protein and pure yumminess !!
This Incredibly delicious Grilled Falafel sandwich is unlike any other you’ve tasted and not your regular sandwich recipe. Today I am sharing a very quick, full of protein and delicious Grilled falafel sandwich recipe that is loaded with chickpeas and some cheese ;).
We had just finishes relishing up on Falafel and eventually ended up with some leftover Falafel mix .......I did not want to make Falafel again with the mix as it may not have gone down well with the kids. I don't like my kids complaining that they just had this dish a few days ago. I try to use ingredients, but turn them in to something different so that the kids don't think that they are eating the same thing again and again. Remember sometimes the kids find out silliest excuses to no eat. So coming back to the left over mix. I thought of creating this sandwich and Ding ding ding!! It turned out fabulous to say the least. The bread was toasted to perfection, very crispy. The falafel mix in it was so darn tasty. The grated cheese topped is the best part of this grilled falafel sandwich recipe. One of the most important points of the recipe was that this entire recipe comes together with minutes if you have boiled chickpeas on hand. I cannot ask for more on busy weekday mornings.
I made this grilled falafel sandwich with whole grain bread. You can however use any type of bread you prefer. Make sure the bread you use if fresh. This grilled falafel sandwich makes a very good snack for toddlers and kids.
Falafel recipe is such a wonderfully versatile dish. I could happily eat it for every meal. It’s lovely on it’s own with some flat bread ,wraps,burger or even in our super yum Ta'amiya fulesh.
If you prefer to cook your own chickpeas from scratch, by all means do so. But I always have few canned chickpeas hiding in my pantry for emergency :P If you don’t have a food processor, don’t let that stop you. Just mash everything together with a fork – the result will be a little more rustic but will still taste divine.
- 8 oz.Organic Garbanzo Beans. You could even soak the garbanzo beans overnight and cook them
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 2 red chillies
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- salt to taste
- grapeseed oil
- Rinse and drain chickpeas and the green herbs.
- Add all the ingredients into a food processor, except oil and pulse until coarse.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as required.
- Apply Butter on one side of the bread and place 2-3 tablespoon of stuffing and spread it nicely and sprinkle required amount of cheese and cover it with another butter sided bread slice and repeat the same for all the sandwiches.
- Heat an electric grill or Toaster or tawa and add some butter on the griller/toaster/tawa and place the prepared sandwiches and apply another layer of butter on top and close it and grill/toast it until it turns brown. If you are doing on tawa you can fry it on both sides by pressing it nicely with the spatula for uniform color.
- Serve it hot with Hummus or Tomato Sauce.