This Recipe's Index
- What is Hummus?
- What makes a good hummus?
- What is Hummus Made of / Hummus Ingredients
- How to make Chickpeas for Hummus
- How to make Instant Pot Hummus?
- Is hummus healthy?
- Can you freeze hummus?
- What to eat with hummus?
- Is Hummus Gluten-Free?
- How long does Hummus last?
- Hummus without Tahini
- Is Hummus Vegan?
- Recommended Products
- Follow us for more delicious Recipes !
What is Hummus?Hummus is a delicious spread, dip or snack made traditionally from chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, and garlic. It originated in the Middle East, but it has become a very popular recipe in the United States and other parts of the world.
What makes a good hummus?Hummus tastes best when it is homemade using dried chickpeas, which you can do easily with the help of the Instant Pot. The combination of lemon juice, garlic, and tahini (optional) make a basic hummus taste amazing. For our recipe, we added cumin for a bit of extra smokiness. You could also add sumac or Za’atar instead. Though these ingredients are optional, they help add a bit more flavor to traditional hummus. This is one of the best things about hummus! The base hummus has a good flavor, but you can add additional ingredients, such as roasted peppers or additional spices, to make a hummus that fits your taste buds. Once you have the hummus made, you can experiment with lots of other flavors that will make your mouth water.
What is Hummus Made of / Hummus IngredientsHummus starts with soaked and cooked dried chickpeas. They provide the bulk of the creamy texture. For flavor, hummus uses tahini, garlic cloves, and lemon juice. We also add cumin, sumac, or Za’atar for some extra flavor as well. We also add a little bit of salt to help bring out all the flavors, but you can skip that if you are on a low sodium diet. The only other things you’ll need are a little bit of olive oil and water to prepare the chickpeas.
How to make Chickpeas for HummusIf you have the time, soak the dried chickpeas overnight. Soaking the chickpeas helps with digestion. If not you don’t have the time, you can use dried chickpeas, but the cook time will vary. Pour the chickpeas and water into the inner pot. Add the salt Close the lid to the Instant Pot and seal the vent. Select pressure cook on high for 25 minutes if you soaked them or 40 minutes if they are dry. For either, use a natural release. When done cooking, drain the beans. Make sure you keep the chickpea broth for when making the hummus.
How to make Instant Pot Hummus?Once the chickpeas are finished cooking, scoop them to the bowl of a food processor. Add in the remaining ½ cup of chickpea broth you kept aside when preparing the chickpeas to be cooked. You can store the remaining chickpeas in the refrigerator or freezer. Next, add all the ingredients: garlic cloves, tahini (optional), lemon juice, spices, and salt. Do not add the olive oil yet. When all the ingredients are added, blend until the mixture is smooth. Slowly add the olive oil using the tube on the top of the food processor. Serve the hummus cold or at room temperature.
Is hummus healthy?Hummus is a healthy snack option or a healthy spread for sandwiches and wraps. Hummus has a lot of good fat in it. Chickpeas are also a good vegetarian source of protein and fiber so this will fill you up and keep you satisfied.
Can you freeze hummus?You can freeze hummus for up to about 4 months from when you store it. To freeze it, spoon it into an airtight, freezer safe container. Before freezing it, add a bit of olive oil on top to help prevent moisture loss in the freezer. When you are ready to serve, let it come up to temperature in the refrigerator overnight.
What to eat with hummus?Hummus is very versatile. You can use it as a dip for your favorite veggies like carrots, green peppers, or celery. It goes great with bread and this Air Fryer Falafel. We often like to add humus to our wraps and sandwiches. One of our favorite wraps to add it to is our Falafel Wrap recipe.
Is Hummus Gluten-Free?Yes! This Instant Pot hummus is gluten-free.
How long does Hummus last?There are no preservatives in this recipe. Once you make the hummus, you can expect it to last for about 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator. Before storing it, put it in an airtight container or bag to help preserve freshness.
Hummus without TahiniYou can make hummus without tahini. Tahini is made from toasted sesame seeds. It is traditionally added to hummus and provides a bit of a nutty flavor to the dip. But if you either don’t have access to or don’t like tahini, you can skip it.
Is Hummus Vegan?Yes, hummus is a vegan recipe. It only contains products that come from plants.
Make this delicious, wholesome Instant Pot hummus the next time you are looking for a way to use up your dried chickpeas and satisfy your snack cravings.
If you make this Hummus recipe, don’t forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating. We would be THRILLED if you would take a pic and tag us on Instagram @dbellyrulesdmind or Facebook @thebellyrulesthemind
Instant Pot Hummus Recipe
- Dry Chickpeas, 3 cups (soaked overnight, if you have time)
- Water 6 cups
- Lemon juice 1/4 cup
- Garlic cloves, 5
- Tahini (optional), 1/2 cup
- Olive Oil, 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cumin, sumac or Za’atar (optional) 1 ½ tsp
Make Instant Pot Chickpeas for Hummus
- Soak chickpeas overnight, if you have the time, or used dried chickpeas but refer to the cook time below.
- Pour the water and chickpeas into the inner pot. Add 1 tsp salt.
- Close the lid, seal the vent and pressure cook on high. If using soaked chickpeas, pressure cook on high for 25 mins. For dried unsoaked chickpeas, pressure cook on high for 40 mins. Natural release the pressure in either case.
- When done cooking, drain the beans. Make sure you keep the chickpea broth for when making the hummus.
- Once the chickpeas are cooked, scoop them to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add ½ cup of chickpea broth you kept aside when preparing the chickpeas to be cooked.
- Next, add all the ingredients: garlic cloves, tahini (optional), lemon juice, spices, and salt. Do not add the olive oil yet. When all the ingredients are added, blend until the mixture is smooth. Slowly add the olive oil using the tube on the top of the food processor.
- Serve the hummus cold or at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Mealthy MultiPot 9-in-1 Programmable Slow and Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
- McCormick Ground Cumin, 14 oz
- Morton Salt Regular Salt - 26 oz
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 101.4 Ounce
- Ziyad Tahini Imported (16 OZ, Pack - 1)
- Chickpeas / Garbanzo Beans (Kabuli Chana) ~ All Natural | Vegan | Gluten Free Ingredients | NON-GMO