Looking for a healthy snack option at snack o'clock. These Oven Roasted Whole Mung are my go-to snack option off late. Power packed with protein these crunchy bites will keep you satiated till dinner is served. Vegan + Gluten-Free
[avatar user="Anvita" size="thumbnail" align="right" link="https://thebellyrulesthemind.net/?s=about+us" target="_blank"]Anvita[/avatar]
You are probably thinking to yourself 'Yet another Mung recipe? Is she out of her mind'. Honestly no!!!! By now you know that I am a Mung addict. I like everything Mung purely because of it's health quotient. One of the reasons you see so many Mung recipes on the blog. If you haven't seen some of our popular Mung recipes, here you go ---> Pineapple Mung Salad, Mung Sprout Salad with 5 minute-asian dressing, Mighty Mung Breakfast Salad, Ta'amiya Fulesh, Mung Dal Vada made in Appe Pan and many more. I am sure my addiction to Mung is going to make me share many more recipes using these mighty beans.
As I have mentioned before, this time of the year I love to sprout. Sprouting makes it easier to digest these whole foods and also help absorb nutrients in the blood stream. To learn more about sprouting you can check out my post on Pineapple Mung Salad. I would also like you to check out this article by Dr.Axe on Mung Bean Nutrition and how they can benefit you.
So today I share with you my favorite Mung bean recipe that I have been hooked onto off late. It's super easy and delicious too and the best part if I can store it easily for straight upto two weeks. I must admit that I used to love the Bhadran Mung that is available at my local Indian grocery store. Often times a week, my mid day snack used to be Bhadran Mung. I was thought to myself that this store bough Bhadran Mung must be so easy to make and can be definitely made at home so finally last week I gave it a shot.
A night before I soaked some mung overnight. The next morning I spread the lightly sprouted Mung across on a kitchen towel to pat dry them. After a couple hours I roasted the might beans in the oven and flavored them and voila, my favorite store bought snack was ready in just a about30 minutes. The reason I wanted to try this at home was so that I could avoid all the unnecessary ingredients. I always believe that packaged food always has some kind of preservative to make the shelf life longer. I was glad my outcome was equally tasty without all the crap that is usually added to the food.
The best part was is that it's a super healthy snack that is loaded with protein and is delicious too. It's crunch and you can flavor it sweet, tangy or spicy however you like. Since I like them a little spicy I flavored them with some black pepper. I usually enjoy them as is, but often times back home it's a great snacking option along with tea. I do believe that it will be an awesome snack option for our next road trip. What do you think?
Is this something you will carry along with you for next road trip?
Are you a lover of Mung, just like me?
What is your favorite snack off late?
I would love to hear from you, so please drop in your comments below.
If you land up trying this recipe, don't forget to send us you pictures on Instagram and tag us. Or drop in your review on our Facebook page. Check out our Pinterest boards for all the healthy eating inspiration you’ll ever need.
- Soak the whole mung overnight in water.
- Rinse and pat dry the mung on a kitchen towel.
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Add all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Spread the mung either on the baking tray or I used a air bake pizza pan with holes in it. Make sure the mung is spread in a single layer so that it can be evenly roasted. Or else you will see some sprouts that are not roasted and still uncooked.
- Roast the mung for about 20-30 minutes in the oven (depending on the oven). After about 20 minutes keep a close watch on the mung. If you start to see the mung turning black, it's burnt. You will see a change in color and as long as it is turning dark it's ok.
- Once roasted, allow the mung to cool. A this point you can add your flavors like brown sugar, chilli powder & black pepper, chaat masala. Once cool store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.