Air fryer sweet potato fries let you enjoy a more wholesome version of classic French fries. Loaded with the extra benefits and flavor of sweet potatoes, these sweet potato fries have the perfect texture from air frying. Make this delicious recipe for a tasty side dish your whole family will love! 1 min video recipe.
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
This post was first published on Feb 26, 2018 and has been updated with new images, video , air fryer / crisp lid recipes.
This Recipe's Index
Are Sweet Potato Fries healthier than regular fries?
Sweet potatoes are jammed packed with extra nutrients and benefits that regular potatoes don’t have. Plus, these sweet potato fries are air fried instead of deep fried so you get a healthier and very tasty batch of fries with less fat.
How to cut sweet potato fries
Before trying to cut the sweet potatoes, select a sharp knife. A sharp knife will help cut through the middle of the potato. If your knife is dull, it will make cutting the potatoes much harder. If you can, sharpen your knife before beginning.
Once you have your knife ready, wash the sweet potatoes using cool water. A potato brush can help get some additional dirt out. Next, peel the potatoes. You may want to cut off a small portion of the ends to make it a bit easier to peel.
Place the potato on a stable cutting board on your counter or table. Make your first cut lengthwise right down the center of the potato. Then cut each half in half to make four pieces. Finally, cut each of these pieces in half to form 8 fries.
We use small to medium potatoes. Some sweet potatoes are very big. With a bigger sweet potato, you may be able to cut a few extra fries. The key is to keep the fries roughly the same thickness so they cook evenly.
Sweet Potato Fries Seasoning
We use several spices to season the fries. They include:
- black pepper for a bit of spiciness and heat
- garlic salt for some subtle flavor
- sweet paprika that compliments the natural sweetness of the potato
- salt to taste and to bring out some of the flavor
You could use other spices and blends if you prefer. For a southwestern flavor, you could use cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Or you could use a premade spice blend that you have on hand or can get at the local grocery store.
How to cook sweet potato fries in an Air Fryer
You can cook sweet potato fries in either an Air Fryer or an Instant Pot with a CrispLid. Both start with mixing the fries with the seasonings, oil, and salt in a large bowl. Make sure the fries are evenly coated with the spices and oil. Using tongs can help with tossing them.
Air Fryer Instructions
Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees F or 190 C. Once it is preheated, carefully arrange the fries in a single layer in the basket. Make sure to leave a little space between them. If your air fryer is smaller or you are making more fries, you will probably need to cook them in batches.
Once the fries are arranged, place the basket into the air fryer. Set the cook time to 14 minutes and turn the fries half way through at 7 minutes. When the fryer is done, carefully remove the fries and serve them immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
Crisp Lid Instructions
After the fries are well coated in seasoning, place the trivet into the inner pot of the Instant Pot or Healthy MultiPot. Cover the basket with foil to help prevent staining and to make clean up a bit easier and place the basket on the trivet.
Arrange the fries in a single layer without overcrowding them. You may need to make more than one batch depending on the number of fries you end up making.
Cover the pot with the CrispLid or the Healthy Crisp Lid. Cook the fries at 380 degrees F or 190 C for 14 minutes. You will need to turn the fries half way using tongs or spatula.
When the fries are done, serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
Can I use a Crisp Lid to make Sweet Potato Air Fries?
Yes, a Crisp Lid for the Instant Pot or Healthy MultiPot work for making sweet potato fries. The instructions are very similar to using an Air Fryer. Just make sure you leave enough room between the fries and make multiple batches if needed.
What oil is best for air fryer sweet potato fries?
There are several oils you can use with the fries in the air fryer. Some of the best include peanut oil, avocado oil, extra light olive oil, or sesame oil. These oils have high heat tolerance and won’t burn easily.
How long should I cook sweet potato fries in an air fryer?
You should cook the sweet potato fries for 14 minutes in the air fryer or CrispLid. You need to flip them halfway through.
If you make thinner fries, you will need to adjust your cook time. Thinner fries will need less time. If you make thicker fries, you may need to increase the cook time. In any case, you should cook them until the fries start to feel crisp and have a bit of a golden brown color.
Should I need to pre-heat an Air fryer?
If you are using a traditional Air Fryer, like the Instant Pot Air Fryer or another brand, you should preheat the air fryer. Preheating helps ensure the fries get evenly cooked and have a crispy skin all the way around.
If you are using a CrispLid attachment for a multipurpose Instant Pot, then you do not need to preheat it. You could also try our Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes recipe for another great way to serve sweet potatoes.
Do I have to soak sweet potatoes before making sweet potato fries?
No. You can cut the fries, season them, and fry them immediately. They will cook through creating a crispier outside and soft inside.
Are Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Crispy?
Air fryer sweet potato fries are less crispy than fries that you cook in a deep fryer. They do have some crispness to them and are not at all soggy, but they are often a bit softer and less crisp. But what you are losing in crispiness, you are gaining in healthiness. Air fryer fries are much healthier because they use so much less oil.
If you want to try another crispy air fryer treat, you should try our delicious and healthy Air Fryer Apple Chips and Air Fryer Banana Chips. They are a great way to satisfy a bit of sweet tooth and midday hunger.
Tips and tricks
- Preheat your air fryer to ensure even cooking
- Use tongs to flip the fries, it is much easier to grab them and flip them like that
- Leave space between the fries and make more than one batch if needed, you can keep the first batch warm on a tray in a preheated to warm or 200 degrees oven
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauces
- Use a sharp knife when cutting the potatoes
When you make the recipe, photograph it and tag us on Instagram @dbellyrulesdmind or leave us a comment below to let us know how you liked it.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries / Chips Recipe
How to cut Sweet Potato Fries
- Throughly wash and peel the sweet potatoes.
- Cut each Sweet Potato in half lengthwise. Then cut each half into further halves lengthwise. Further cut the 4 halves into more halves which will give you 8 fries.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
- Preheat the air fryer at 380F /190C.
- Place the sliced sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Toss in the oil, garlic powder, sweet paprika, black pepper an salt and. Mix well, making sure the sweet potatoes are evenly coated with the seasoning
- Evenly arrange the sweet potatoes in air fryer basket in a single layer without overcrowding them.
- Cook for a total of 14 minutes turning them half way through at 7 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
Mealthy Crisp Lid Sweet Potato Fries
- In a large mixing bowl, toss in the sweet potatoes, oil and seasoning. Mix well.
- Place a trivet in the inner pot of the Instant Pot or Mealthy MultiPot.
- Wrap the deep fryer basket with an aluminium foil and place it on the trivet. Covering it will prevent staining
- Cover and secure the Pot with the Mealthy Crisp Lid. Cook at 380 F / 190C for a total of 14 minutes turning the
fries half way through at 7 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and black pepper is deseried and serve immediately.
Refer to the tips in the blog post above
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 101.4 Ounce
- McCormick Coarse Grind Garlic Salt With Parsley, 28 oz
- McCormick Black Peppercorn Grinder, 2.5 oz
- McCormick Black Peppercorn Grinder, 2.5 oz
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
- Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
- Mealthy MultiPot 9-in-1 Programmable Slow and Pressure Cooker
- Mealthy CrispLid for Pressure Cooker - Turns your Pressure Cooker into an Air Fryer - Air fry, Crisp or Broil fits 6 & 8 Q Pot Basket, Trivet, Silicone Mat, Tongs plus Instant access Free Recipe App
- Gourmia GAF400 Electric Multipurpose Classic Rapid Air Fryer with Dual Dial Timer & Temperature Controls, 10 Cup/4.5 Qt. Capacity, 1230W, Black
- GoWISE USA 1700-Watt 5.8-QT 8-in-1 Digital Air Fryer and 50 Recipes for your Air Fryer Book (Black)
- Instant™ Vortex™ 6-Quart 4-in-1 Air Fryer with Roast, Broil, Bake, and Reheat functions