This Best 7 (Seven) Layer Dip recipe combines lots of southwestern flavors into one unbeatable appetizer that is perfect for dunking tortilla chips or veggies into. When you are getting ready for your next get together , make sure you include this easy dip recipe. Your family and your guests will rave about the unbeatable combination of flavors and textures of this yummy dip.
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
Best 7 (Seven) Layer Dip Recipe
This seven layer dip is the one you’ve been looking for to delight your guests and their taste buds!
This dip will impress even your pickiest guests because it has so many textures and flavors. You can serve this at your next get together, for your family, or as a part of a southwestern themed dinner with these Burrito Bowls.
7 (Seven) Layer Dip Video Recipe
What you’ll need
Seven layer dip has a lot of, well, layers. Each of those layers adds a new set of ingredients and are bursting with flavor. When you make this dip, make sure you use chilled ingredients.
Here is what you’ll need to make this scrumptious dish:
- Refried beans - we have a delicious recipe for refried beans or you could look for a store bought version if you want (it just won’t taste as good as our homemade version!)
- Thick chunky salsa - the thicker the better. You can pick your favorite brand
- Sour cream - you can omit or use a vegan version if you want to make this vegan
- Taco seasoning - you can use a pre packaged seasoning mix, but if you prefer, you can use chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder to avoid the sodium. We use a roughly 2 parts chili powder, 1 part cumin, and about ½ part garlic powder.
- Guacamole - you can get store bought if you want or use 3 avocados, 1 teaspoon lime juice, cilantro, and 1 teaspoon garlic salt to make your own.
- Cheddar cheese - if you want to make this vegan, skip the cheese or use vegan cheese
- Black olives - sliced
- Roma tomatoes - diced
- Green onions - sliced
How to make
This simple recipe only takes a few minutes to throw together so you are ready to serve your guests or hungry family. Here’s what you need to do to make this 7 layer dip.
- First, start by slicing up your green onions, black olives and Roma tomatoes.
- Once they are sliced, it is time to get the guacamole together. To make the guacamole, combine the avocados, lime juice, cilantro and garlic salt in a medium bowl. Then mash it with a fork until it reaches your desired smoothness level.
- When you have the guac ready to go, you can start layering your dip. To do this, just start by spreading the refried beans and taco seasoning mixture into the bottom of a 7×11″ casserole dish.
- Next, add the sour cream and then spread an even layer over the refried beans. Follow this with the guacamole spread over the entire dish.
- After you spread the guacamole out, spoon the chunky salsa over the top of the guac in an even layer. Once spread, it should fully cover the guacamole.
- Next, evenly spread the cheese over the top. Try to make it as even as possible.
- Finally, scatter the diced Roma tomatoes, black olives and green onions over top of the cheese.
If you plan to serve it right away, serve with tortillas chips, carrots, bell peppers, crackers, or your favorite dipping food. Otherwise, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it.
Tips for making 7 layer dip
When you are ready to make this great tasting dip, you should follow these simple tips and tricks. If you have any questions, let us know in the comments!
- When you make this dip, make sure you use chilled ingredients.
- Start by using a spoon to scoop and place small amounts of the ingredients over the top of the layer underneath. Once all the new layer is scooped on top, use the spoon to spread it out.
- When you can, use the homemade guac instead of store bought because it has the best flavor.
- Feel free to add additional toppings if you want so you can make this the taco dip of your dreams. You can add more cheese if you like, crushed tortillas, or anything you desire!
What can I dip in it?
We use tortilla chips because they taste great with the dip. If you prefer, you could use other chips, crackers, or veggies like carrots, sliced bell peppers, or celery. Really, you can dip just about anything you like into the dip or even scoop some out to fill up a chalupa shell.
Is this recipe vegan?
No, we use cheese and sour cream to make the dip. If you prefer, you could omit the layers with sour cream or cheese or you could use vegan versions of cheese and sour cream instead. You should be able to find either at your local grocery store.
What else can I add to this dip?
If you want, you can add extra veggies on top. Roasted peppers, diced jalapenos or chipotle peppers are all great options. You could also add different cheeses or crushed tortillas or add these on top or add them as part of the bottom layers. Or try adding this Salsa Verde in place of or in addition to the regular chunky salsa.
How do you store the seven layer dip?
You don’t need much to store the dip. Just cover the casserole dish in plastic wrap. You could also use a dish with a lid already attached to make it even easier. Once you cover the dish, place in the refrigerator for about 3 to 5 days.
More Mexican Recipes You’ll Love
Did you try this 7 layer dip? Don’t forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating. We would be THRILLED if you would take a pic and tag us on Instagram @dbellyrulesdmind or Facebook @thebellyrulesthemind
Seven Layer Dip Recipe
- 1- ½ cup thick chunky salsa (not watery)
- 1- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups refried beans
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 cup guacamole (3 avocado, 1 lime juice, cilantro, garlic salt)
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese
- ½ cup black olives sliced
- 2 sliced green onions sliced
- 1 Roma tomatoes diced
- In a separate bowl combine the avocado, lime juice, cilantro and garlic salt.
- Mash till a smooth spreadable consistency is reached and then spread into an even layer over the beans.
- Add taco seasoning to the refried beans and mix it.
- Start by spreading the refried beans taco seasoning mixture into the bottom of a 7×11″ casserole dish.
- Add the sour cream and then spread into an even layer over the refried beans.
- Spread the guacamole evenly as the next layer.
- Spread the chunky salsa over the guacamole.
- Next, top with a layer of finely shredded cheese. Make sure that the cheese is uniformly spread
- Scatter the diced Roma tomatoes, black olives and green onions!
- Serve with tortillas chips or Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Prepare the Guacamole
Layering the dip
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.