Air fryer butternut squash is a fast, healthy side dish that you can add to your favorite meal. Almost any seasoning combination tastes delicious on this versatile veggie so you can match or complement just about any style of meal you are putting together. With our easy recipe, you’ll be making this fall staple year round!
Come JOIN US on our FACEBOOK group and be a part of our community and discuss various recipes, tips and tricks.
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES
- What are the health benefits of Air frying butternut squash?
- Ingredients for air frying butternut squash
- How to make butternut squash in the Air Fryer
- What are some seasoning options for air fryer butternut squash?
- What are some serving suggestions for butternut squash in air fryer?
- Pro tips to make the best Butternut squash in air fryer
- Other great air fryer veggie recipes to try
- Let us know what you think
- Air Fryer Butternut Sqaush
What are the health benefits of Air frying butternut squash?
Butternut squash is a very healthy choice when it comes to vegetables. It contains a lot of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that provide your body with a lot of nutrients it needs.
It also has a large amount of fiber, which both fills you up faster and helps to keep you healthy.
When you make butternut squash in the air fryer, you are adding only a small amount of oil and keeping all the nutrients that make butternut squash so good for you.
Ingredients for air frying butternut squash
Air fryer butternut squash does not need a lot of ingredients to make. Here is the minimum you need, but you can feel free to add additional seasoning to your liking:
- Butternut squash - You’ll need to peel and cube fresh squash, or you can use frozen butternut squash cubes.
- Salt - You can add this to taste or omit if you prefer
- Olive oil - You can use your preferred oil, but we like using olive oil.
How to make butternut squash in the Air Fryer
When you make butternut squash in the air fryer, follow these easy steps:
- First, clean, peel and cut the butternut squash into cubes. For some extra tips on preparing butternut squash for the air fryer or steaming, please check out our Instant Pot Butternut Squash post.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cubed squash, salt, and oil and then coat it well. You can also add any seasonings at this point if you would like, such as cinnamon and sugar, chili and lime, or any number of other combinations.
- Once the squash is coated, arrange the pieces in the air fryer basket in a single layer and air fry at 400 F for 15 minutes or until the squash is crispy and tender to your liking. Make sure to shake the basket half way through to help evenly cook the squash.
- Garnish with crushed black pepper, parsley, chives, or your favorite toppings and then enjoy as a side dish.
What are some seasoning options for air fryer butternut squash?
When you make butternut squash in the ai fryer, you can keep it as is for a simple flavor, or you can add any number of different seasonings. Some suggestions for seasonings include:
- Cinnamon and sugar
- Chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic and parmesan cheese
- Garlic and ginger
- Garlic, ginger, chilis, and a splash of soy sauce
What are some serving suggestions for butternut squash in air fryer?
Of course, you can also serve it with just about any main dish you like. It is great way to get extra veggies and create a filling, healthy meal.
Pro tips to make the best Butternut squash in air fryer
When you make this butternut squash air fryer recipe, you’ll want to follow these pro tips and tricks to help make it taste amazing:
- Add your favorite seasonings or seasonings that will complement what you are serving with the squash.
- Don’t over cook the squash to prevent it from drying out, but do add a little time if you prefer slightly crispier squash.
- Make sure to leave some room between pieces and do only a single layer of squash.
When we make butternut squash in the air fryer, we cook the squash for a total of 20 minutes. About halfway through, we shake the basket to help cook the squash evenly. If you like crispier squash, you can add some time to the total.
Butternut squash should cook around 400 degrees in the air fryer. This will help ensure the inside becomes tender while the outside becomes crispy.
Yes! You can definitely add frozen butternut squash to an air fryer, but we do prefer fresh. We’d also recommend defrosting and removing excess water before adding the butternut squash to the air fryer.
When we make butternut squash air fryer, we add about a tablespoon of olive oil. This helps to give the squash a crispy texture and keep the squash nice and moist during cooking. Also, you will want to avoid over cooking the squash. If you cook it for too much longer than 20 minutes, it can start to dry out.
If you like, you can make air fryer butternut squash ahead of time. You will want to let the squash cool completely and then place in an airtight container.
When ready, you can either warm the butternut squash in the air fryer basket, oven, or microwave. It makes a great side dish or a good lunch during the week if you want something light and tasty.
You can cook just about any squash you like in the air fryer as long as it fits. Yellow and green zucchini or squash work great and can easily fit in the air fryer. You can even cut them into wheels, bread them, and make chips out of them if you like.
For best results, make sure you leave a bit of space between the pieces. Also, only cook in a single layer. These help ensure that all sides get nice and crispy in the air fryer. You should also coat it in your preferred oil to help keep it moist while cooking.
Other great air fryer veggie recipes to try
Once you make this butternut squash in the air fryer, make sure to try these other great tasting recipes:
Let us know what you think
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed or frozen butternut squash cubes.
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- parsley, finely chopped to garnish
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Gourmia GAF400 Electric Multipurpose Classic Rapid Air Fryer with Dual Dial Timer & Temperature Controls, 10 Cup/4.5 Qt. Capacity, 1230W, Black
Instant Pot Vortex 6-Quart 4-in-1 Air Fryer
GoWISE USA 1700-Watt 5.8-QT 8-in-1 Digital Air Fryer and 50 Recipes for your Air Fryer Book (Black)
Instant Vortex Plus 10 Quart Air Fryer, Rotisserie and Convection Oven, Air Fry, Roast, Bake, Dehydrate and Warm, 1500W, Stainless Steel and Black
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 73Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 150mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 1g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. We are not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on TheBellyRulesTheMind.net should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate. Even though we try to provide accurate nutritional information to the best of our ability, these figures should still be considered estimates.