Homemade Instant Pot Popcorn – How to make the perfect popcorn in your Instant Pot with 3 real ingredients and no burnt kernels. Yes please!!!! A whole grain, mid day snack so much healthier than pre-made popcorn. Great for movie and game nights! Let’s get popping!!! Video Recipe.
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
This Recipe's Index
Just close your eyes for a couple seconds and think of the aroma of popcorn. Isn’t the aroma calling you? Isn’t your mouth watering and your tummy is saying let’s get popping! Something about popcorn that even as I write this blog, I am craving some.
It’s a family favorite snack, especially on game nights and movie nights. We love homemade Popcorn and we love Instant Pot Popcorn even more.
8 reasons to love this Instant Pot Popcorn
- Made with 3 real ingredients
- Healthier than any pre-made popcorn bags
- Costs less compared to microwavable packs
- Customize flavors for the family
- Vegan. Gluten-Free.
- Perfect mid-day snack and great for game nights and movie nights
- It’s so much fun to pop some with the kids.
- Easy recipe for beginners. You can find more beginner recipes here.
Is Popcorn good or bad for you?
We often get asked is Popcorn is healthy or not.
Pre-made popcorn packets or store bought popcorn often contain a lot of salt, artificial flavors, toppings and sometimes even sugars. They are often loaded with a lot more butter than required. Avoid microwave popcorn. In general, microwave popcorn is the least healthy option.
How is Homemade Popcorn is better for you
Homemade Popcorn can definitely be a healthy snack if you don’t slather it in butter and if it’s lightly seasoned. It’s whole grains, high in fiber and antioxidants. Although air-popped popcorn is the healthiest as it does not use any oil at all, popping it in oil, however, is a great way to consume a healthy portion of fat to control hunger. If you wisely manage your portion sizes, homemade popcorn can be your perfect midday snack.
Homemade Instant Pot Popcorn Ingredients
All you need to pop your corn at home in the Instant Pot is just 3 simple and real ingredients. Exact measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Non GMO Corn Kernels
- Oil – Not just any oil. You need an oil with a high smoking point. So we prefer to use Coconut oil. To be more precise if you get your hands on Unrefined Virgin Coconut oil, nothing like it.
- Garlic Salt
- Healthy Toppings (optional) – garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, chili powder that can be sprinkled on the top.
How to make the perfect Homemade Popcorn in Instant Pot
Here is just a gist of the steps involved to make popcorn. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
Step 1 – Using the Saute function, start heating up the inner pot. Once the inner pot is hot, add the coconut oil and allow it to melt completely.
Step 2 – Throw in the kernels and evenly coat the the kernels with oil. Add the salt stir again and wait for the sizzle. The corn will take a couple minutes to start popping so be patient.
Step 3 – Cover the inner pot with glass lid that fits the inner pot. You won’t to be able to see the kernels pop, so using a glass lid is important.
Step 4 – Now begins the fun you have been waiting for. The kernels will start popping. Please do not take the lid off. It will take about 5 minutes for about 3/4th of the kernels to pop. At this point, switch off the pot wait for the remaining kernels to pop.
Step 5 – Once most of the corn has popped, carefully remove the lid and transfer the popcorn from the inner pot into a large bowl. Pro-Tip – The inner pot will be hot so you can use a large spoon to transfer it to you bowl.
Step 6 – Optionally you can lightly season it with your choice of healthy toppings like, dried basil, oregano, garlic powder, chili powder.
My popcorn isn’t popping
Trust me it happened to me thrice before I was successful the fourth time.
- First time only 20% kernels popped
- Second time, soaked kernels for 10 minutes, 40% popped.
- Third time soaked kernels for 20 minutes, 60% popped.
- Fourth time, successful results. I changed the store and brand of the kernels.
Observation – If the kernels aren’t popping it could be because the quality of the kernels isn’t good.
When kernels don’t have enough moisture, they don’t pop. Sometimes if a batch it too old or dry the kernels won’t pop. Kernels pop when the water vapor inside them increases pressure enough to rupture the hull. The kernels need the right amount of moisture in them to pop, which is about 14%. How do you know how good the kernels are? You can either give it a couple attempts and you will know of you can calculate the moisture of your kernels, using this experiment by Mother Earth News.
Often times, if the smoking point of the oil causes burnt kernels or unpopped kernels. Thus using an oil like coconut oil which has a high smoking point is good.
Which oil is the best for making Popcorn in Instant Pot
Honestly no oil, except for coconut oil will give the popcorn it’s flavors and aroma as it has a high smoking point. The best part is that you can’t even taste the coconut oil once the kernels are popped. Butter, olive oil, corn oil have a lower smoking point, thus we don;t prefer them.
Hope you try popping some popcorn in your Instant Pots and enjoy them as much as we do. Don’t forget to come back and leave us a comment. If you know of someone who loves to pop corn, share this with recipe with them on your social media.
More Easy Healthier Snack Recipes
- Apple Chips
- Banana Chips
- Boiled Peanuts
- Instant Masala Peanuts
- Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Baked Mathris / Crackers
Step 1 - Using the Saute function, start heating up the inner pot. Once the inner pot is hot, add the coconut oil and allow it to melt completely.
Step 2 - Throw in the kernels and evenly coat the the kernels with oil. Add the salt stir again and wait for the sizzle. The corn will take a couple minutes to start popping so be patient.
Step 3 - Cover the inner pot with glass lid that fits the inner pot. You won't to be able to see the kernels pop, so using a glass lid is important.
Step 4 - Now begins the fun you have been waiting for. The kernels will start popping. Please do not take the lid off. It will take about 5 minutes for about 3/4th of the kernels to pop. At this point, switch off the pot wait for the remaining kernels to pop.
Step 5 - Once most of the corn has popped, carefully remove the lid and transfer the popcorn from the inner pot into a large bowl. Pro-Tip - The inner pot will be hot so you can use a large spoon to transfer it to you bowl.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Genuine Instant Pot Tempered Glass Lid, 9 in. (23 cm), 6 Quart, Clear
- Jolly Time, Yellow Popcorn (Pack of 2) certified Non GMO
- McCormick Coarse Grind Garlic Salt With Parsley, 28 oz
- Unrefined, Virgin Coconut Oil
- Mealthy MultiPot 9-in-1 Programmable Slow and Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
- Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer