INSTANT POT MUSHROOM RICE PILAF – A FILLING VEGETARIAN MEAL YOU CAN MAKE AHEAD
I love to show my family I love them by filling their lunches with healthy, comforting foods. I like to send them out the door with a lunch they can reheat easily that will feel like a hug in the middle of the day and give them the energy they need to make it through their afternoons. This easy mushroom rice pilaf does that perfectly.
ARE YOU NEW TO INSTANT POT?
With the Instant Pot Ultra cooking rice dishes like this Instant Pot mushroom rice pilaf is a snap. It cuts down the cooking time and makes this rice pilaf recipe easy to make in the mornings before school and work. Plus if you decide to make this delicious rice as a side dish on Thanksgiving, making it in the Instant Pot will save you time and stove-top space.
Don’t get intimidated by your Instant Pot and all its buttons and function. If you find your head spinning trying to figure out what they all do, check out our complete beginner’s guide to the Instant Pot, called Master the Instant Pot in 3 buttons. You’ll be cooking Instant Pot rice like a pro in no time!
WHAT IS MUSHROOM RICE PILAF
Rice pilaf is a flavorful rice dish. Unlike plain rice, you normally cook the rice for rice pilaf in broth. Most rice pilaf recipes also include aromatics like onions and garlic. My mushroom rice pilaf recipe includes a cup of chopped onions and a healthy amount of garlic to give this dish plenty of flavors.
Mushroom rice pilaf, like other rice pilafs, is rice cooked in a bouillon based broth with aromatics. It just has mushrooms in addition to the aromatics and rice for an extra heartiness.
YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH MUSHROOMS AFTER TASTING THIS MUSHROOM RICE PILAF
Do you think mushrooms are tasteless or sad? You’ll rethink that opinion after trying this mushroom rice pilaf. The mushrooms in this rice recipe are so full of flavor that you won’t be able to get enough of them. Because most mushrooms have a mild flavor, they pick up the flavor they are cooked with and taste delicious.
In this mushroom rice pilaf recipe, the garlic and onion provide the base of flavor for the mushrooms. The Better than Bouillon base adds to it and turns the mushroom into tender, flavor-packed bites throughout the rice.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT MUSHROOM RICE PILAF
Making Instant Pot mushroom rice pilaf is a snap. Start by cleaning and rinsing the rice thoroughly. Once you’ve cleaned the rice, set it aside.
Next up, clean your mushrooms. Don’t clean your mushrooms by running them underwater. They will get sort of soggy and waterlogged. Instead, just take a damp paper towel and gently wipe each mushroom individually to remove any dirt. Then cut off the ends of the stems and slice the mushrooms.
Now, turn your Instant Pot on the saute setting by pressing saute. When the Instant Pot reads HOT, add the oil, garlic, onions, and sliced mushroom to the Instant Pot liner. Stir your aromatics and mushrooms and let it saute for 1 minute.
After you’ve sauteed the garlic, onions, and mushrooms, add in the mushroom or vegetable base, Basmati rice, half of the green onions, and salt and pepper. Pour in the water.
Stir everything and then press cancel. Now secure the lid and close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 5 minutes. Then, let the pressure release for 5 minutes naturally then do a quick release. Fluff the rice with a fork. Top with additional green onions if you’d like.
INSTANT POT MUSHROOM RICE PILAF VIDEO RECIPE
HOW CAN YOU ADD MORE FLAVOR TO THE RICE?
While the base recipe is absolutely delicious as is, you can add even more flavor to the rice if you want. Some great ways to add extra flavor include:
- Substitute vegetable broth or stock for water
- Stir in extra herbs like parsley
- Finish the dish off with a squeeze of fresh lemon for extra brightness
- Sprinkle on toasted walnuts pieces for some crunch and nuttiness
CAN I USE ANY OTHER TYPE OF RICE?
You can use almost any rice you prefer. I particularly like using brown rice or jasmine rice. The cook time will be the same if you substitute jasmine rice for the basmati rice but it will increase to 15 minutes if you use brown rice instead.
WHAT TYPE OF MUSHROOMS SHOULD I USE?
I use cremini mushrooms in this Instant Pot mushroom rice pilaf. Feel free to substitute another small mushroom for the cremini mushrooms. Baby Bella mushrooms, button mushrooms, and white mushrooms would all work well in this.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER MUSHROOM RICE
You can keep any leftover mushroom rice pilaf covered in an airtight container in your fridge. Make sure to put it in the container while it is still steaming to keep it moist. The rice should keep for 3-4 days in the fridge.
You can also freeze leftovers for up to a month. Instead of putting the airtight container with steaming rice into your fridge, put it in your freezer. To defrost, take it out of the freezer and leave it in your fridge overnight. Then reheat as normal.
INSTANT POT MUSHROOM RICE PILAF AS PART OF A LOVELY VEGETARIAN THANKSGIVING
While I often eat and serve this dish as my meal, it also makes a lovely side dish and would be well suited for a vegetarian Thanksgiving dinner. I would serve this mushroom rice pilaf with:
- Whole roasted cauliflower A flavorful head of roasted cauliflower makes for a lovely vegetarian main course.
- Roasted Potatoes – German-style roasted potatoes with fragrant rosemary adds a heartiness to any meal.
- Lentil Salad with Butternut Squash . A lovely salad with the vegetable of fall pairs so well with the earthy mushroom pilaf.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bites Pumpkin cheesecake bites finish off any fall meal with pumpkin flavored treats.
If you are a fan of healthy eating and have just purchased an instant pot, Try out our 80+Instant Pot Vegetarian Recipes. From Soups to Pasta and from Appetizers to Desserts and everything in between.
If you make this recipe, Don’t forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating. We would be THRILLED if you would take a pic and tag us on Instagram @dbellyrulesdmind or Facebook @thebellyrulesthemind
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic/ minced
- 1 cup Onions / finely chopped
- 10 oz Cremini Mushrooms / sliced
- 2 tsp better than bouillon mushroom base or vegetable base
- 1 bunch green onion / chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- Clean and Rinse the rice and keep it aside.
- Clean the mushrooms and slice them.
- Press saute setting on an electric pressure cooker.
- When HOT add oil, garlic, onions, and sliced mushroom give it stir and let it saute for 1 minute. Add in the mushroom base, rice, salt, black pepper powder add in the water and sprinkle half of the chopped green onions.
- Stir and press cancel. Place the lid and close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 5 minutes. Let the pressure release for 5 minutes naturally then do a quick release. Fluff the rice with a fork. If desired, serve with additional green onions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Better Than Bouillon Base, Mushroom, 8 Ounce (2 Pack)
- Royal White Basmati Rice, 20 Pound
- Mealthy MultiPot 9-in-1 Programmable Slow and Pressure Cooker - Mealthy.com
- Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 160 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 110mg Carbohydrates: 21g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g