Vibrant, tantalizing and perfect! These adjectives just don't do justice to the Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Pakoda that can be made in minutes!! Punjabi Kadhi Pakoda or Punjabi Karhi is a dish originating from the Indian subcontinent. It consists of a thick gravy based on chickpea flour and contains vegetable fritters called pakoras, to which Dahi (yogurt) is added to give it little sour taste. It is often eaten with boiled rice or roti.
Don't forget to check out the video recipe below!
What is Punabi Kadhi Pakoda?
Kadhi means “cooked slowly in a low flame" and since it is a dish originating from the Indian subcontinent hence the name Punjabi Kadhi. There are few recipes that fill your home with aromas and smells of good hearty cooking. Punjabi Kadhi Pakoda is one such recipe. Served warm with steamed rice, papad, and pickle I couldn’t think of a more satisfying meal. Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Pakoda is like a staple food which can be relished at any time, especially in the winter season. A perfect warming dish.
Different Types of Kadhi
There are a different kind of Kadhis like Kadhi Pakodi, Mangodi ki Kadhi, Sindhi Kadhi, Gujarati Kadhi, Rajasthani Kadhi etc. Here I am sharing one of my favorites and close to my <3. I am in love with my Instant Pot and made the Punjabi Kadhi Pakoda in it. It turned out amazing. Easy to make but superlatively delicious, this Kadhi plays the perfect host to delectable! It is one of the favorite foods among Punjabis. There is hardly anyone I know who doesn't like( Kadhi & Chawal ). Were there ever two words more perfect together?
Punjabi Kadhi goes perfect with Rice / Chawal
I just love Kadhi Chawal period. I have mentioned multiple times that I learned cooking from my mom and as cooking for so many years I have given my own twist to a lot of her recipes but I have not made any changes in the Authentic Punjabi Kadhi recipe. It reminds me of my childhood days back home when I was in college. It is a soul food for me. You don't need to deep fry the pakoras, do try out the healthy appe pan recipe version of Punjabi Kadhi with spinach pakoda appe pan.
How easy is it to make Punjabi Kadhi in Instant Pot?
This dish is so simple to make, you can make it in an Instant pot too! I couldn’t make a decent one in an instant-pot. I tried making it several times and didn't get it where I was going wrong :( (which is very unlike me). It was nowhere close to the delicious, creamy Kadhi that I learned from my mom. It was always missing that nice balanced taste to it. Yes, I had given up on it, but one day while I was speaking to my dear friend and fellow blogger Sonal from Simplyvegetrain777 (do check out the recipe that gave me the inspiration) and told her about the issue I was facing while cooking it in the Instant Pot, she guided me so well and explained and gave me instant pot tips which helped me. Armed with these tips from Sonal, I have upped my Instant-pot game and I can confidently say that I make a Delicious authentic Punjabi Kadhi in an instant-pot too !!
Punjabi Kadhi tastes awesome with Boondi
Do try this Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Pakoda, you won't be disappointed at all. I simply Loved the idea of adding Boondi / Crispy gram flour balls which we usually use in Raita ;) ain't that pure genius idea ? You can follow the video for a step by step process of making this awesome Kadhi.
Punjabi Kadhi Recipe Video
Can I make a Vegan Punjabi Kadhi?
*****I know what’s coming next… Someone is going to ask me if this Perfect Instant Pot Punjabi Kadhi Pakoda can be made dairy free?? In short, no. However, the honest answer is yes and no. This Recipe can easily be made vegan too. I usually make a vegan version for my friends and neighbors who are vegan by just replacing the whole milk yogurt to So Delicious coconut milk yogurt and it is lip-smacking delicious!
- 2 cups Sour Yogurt/curd
- 1/2 cup Gram flour/Besan
- One(1) Onion/ chopped
- 1/3 teaspoon Asafoetida
- Half (1/2) teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds/methi daana
- Half (1/2) teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Half (1/2) teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin/Corriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 6 cups Water
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- One (1) tablespoon kasoori methi
- 1/2 cup cilantro /chopped
For the Spinach pakodas/fritters
- 1 cup besan /bengal gram flour
- 1 Bunch Spinach/ palak / Chopped
- 1 small Onion / Chopped
- 1 small Potato/ Grated
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder /Haldi
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds /Zeera
- 1 green chilli/ chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Combine the Yogurt,gram flour .
- Add 6 cups of water and whisk well using a whisk. Keep aside.
- Press Saute mode and set it on Normal by pressing the saute mode. Wait till the screen displays Hot.
- Pour the oil ,add the mustard seeds ,cumin seeds, Coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves ,ginger , dried red chili , green chillies and sauté for a few seconds and then add the chopped onions and sauté till translucent.
- Stir to make sure the ingredients don’t burn. Once the onions are soft add in turmeric powder, red chilli powder & coriander powder . Stir it nicely .
- Add the Yogurt,gram flour & water mixture, mix well .
- Set the Float valve to Venting.
- Press Soup Mode and set it on Less. Make sure that the pressure is set to Less.
- Set the timer for 15 minutes.
- After the time is up open the instant-pot and give the Kadhi a stir.add in the kasoori methi and chopped cilantro.
- Add in your favorite Pakoda , or serve it with Boondi and enjoy it with steam rice or roti.
For the Spinach pakoda
- Combine all the ingredients along with few tablespoon of water in a bowl and mix well to form a dough.
- Apply little oil or water and make small golf size balls.
- Heat the pan , add few drops of oil.
- Add in the spinach fritters /pakoda in each cavity. Keep rotating it after every minute to get a nice round shape and even color on the pakoda. it will take around 8- 10 mins .
- Just before serving Add the pakodas, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes