A quick and easy soft Homemade Pav – dinner rolls made with whole wheat flour. The softest 100% whole wheat dinner rolls you’ve ever had. The homemade dinner rolls are soft, fluffy and perfectly golden brown in color! These are so much healthier than the traditional store purchased dinner rolls. Win-win situation here!
It’s friYAY and today I have my super helper in the kitchen, my elder kid R2. Let me share a few interesting facts about him. He is a true fan of my cooking ( for him, I am THE BEST), sincere critic, taste taster and is a complete FOODIE. R2 loves when I bake food and he asked me if he could assist me next time when I am baking, and even asked me to enroll him in a cooking class at his middle school last year. Enough about cooking it’s making me hungry. He even plays piano ( almost 7 years now). He is a great swimmer and if you are a returning reader as I have mentioned in my other post he swims 4 days a week + swim-meets on weekends and thus comes the food part (Healthy meals). We want to ensure that he eats healthy and things that can keep him energized.
Coming back to the No-Knead Homemade Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls – Ladi Pav, I confess that one thing me and my family missed eating was soft, fluffy, eggless pav- dinner rolls. We don’t get that here in the US. What we do get here is full of preservatives and is made with highly processed wheat (all purpose flour). I have started making these bread rolls at home and trust me it is not that difficult to achieve the yummy taste at home. You will love that the pav didn’t take too much time and didn’t have to rise for hours. And guess what? SUCCESS! Enjoy making these good-tasting, perfectly cooked rolls! I am so proud of my homemade pav recipe and of course my little helper R2.
Recently I discovered a new method of making No Knead Dough in my Instant Pot and it changed my life! It is still not an instantaneous process but it is a lot faster and a lot easier. A perfect solution to baking them in winters. I now enjoy homemade bread much more often than before.
Ladi Pav, or Pav Bread or Buns or Dinner Rolls. Whatever you call, they’re awesome. Making pav at home is sometimes quite difficult, but here I have the perfect recipe for you. You too can make soft, fluffy, moist, spongy pav buns without any eggs and without the need to knead! These dinner rolls – pav come out tender, light and fluffy. And there’s nothing better than a warm, homemade roll with dinner. Especially when it’s served with hot Instant pot Pav bhaji, our 16 beans kolhapuri usal or my favorite Mumbai street food Batata Vada or Vada Pav / Aloo Bonda
Thankfully, these easy No-Knead Homemade Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls – Ladi Pav are a bit less labor intensive to prepare. They still require time to let the dough rise, but it’s hands-off time. The time I would use for exciting things like laundry and try to solve the one sock mystery. Sometimes I am shocked at the amount of laundry both my boys produce.
Really, the only special skill you’ll need to make these dinner rolls- ladi pav is patience. You don’t even need a fancy mixer to make them. Just your instant pot and a wooden spoon.
Just a few tips for making any kind of bread: if your yeast doesn’t froth after five or so minutes, your liquid is probably too hot or too cold. To test the temperature, I usually use my finger. If it would make a pleasant bath, it’s probably just right.
And it always helps to put your dough in a warm place to rise. I usually turn my oven on for about 30 seconds, then turn it off. Then I place my dough inside for the final rise.
Instant pot for dinner rolls? Really?
Well, technically, only the No Knead Dough is made in the Instant Pot (or any other electric pressure cooker with a yogurt function). The instant pot must have a yogurt function in order to actually be used in this recipe. Yogurt button provides an ideal warm temperature for the Rolls dough to rise. This is usually beneficial in winters where you need a warm temperature for the bread to “RISE” :-), as they say, “Winter is Coming”.
Using Instant Pot to make the No Knead Dough means that the dough rises beautifully in just 1 hour (plus under 10 minutes to actually mix it together). You don’t need to find a warm place for the dough to proof, no need to wait for 2-3 hours for the dough to double in size.
What is Vital gluten and why do I need it to make homemade wheat ladi pav?
Vital wheat gluten is basically wheat flour that has the wheat bran and starch removed – it’s low in carbs and super pumped up with protein. When added to yeast bread, particularly whole wheat bread, it helps develop the natural gluten in the wheat flour and provides a light fluffiness sometimes hard to achieve with whole wheat bread. It is very fine in texture and light brownish/yellowish in color and is easily found in the baking aisle of most grocery stores in the flour section(I get mine from Amazon, you may check your local store).
NOTE: As with all yeast doughs, I never use the flour amount called for in the recipe as a hard fast rule. Because humidity, temperature, altitude and a multitude of other factors can impact how much flour you need in your yeast doughs, I always judge when to quit adding flour by the texture and look and feel of the dough rather than how much flour I’ve added compared to the recipe.
So let’s dive into the recipe and get started. when you try this recipe, please don’t forget to take a picture and tag us on Instagram using the hashtag #tbrtm.
- 2 ½ cups milk/use Non dairy for vegan version
- ¾ tbsp instant yeast (or 1 tablespoon active dry yeast)
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp butter/use Non dairy for vegan version
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup vital wheat gluten
- 3 - ½ cups whole wheat flour, give or take a little
- Turn your Instant Pot on and press sauté button.
- Add milk and the butter to the pot and wait for the butter to melt. Turn the Instant Pot sauté function off once the butter starts to melt. The pot will still be hot so everything will melt and heat up nicely.
- IMPORTANT: At this point you might need to wait for few minutes to cool the mixture if the pot got too hot. The butter and milk mixture needs to be warm but not hot, so just test it with your finger. If it's too hot then the yeast won't work.
- Add the sugar, yeast and mix.
- Wait for 5 minutes to make sure that the yeast foams.
- Add the vital gluten in the flour, salt and mix everything together just until a sticky dough is formed.
- NOTE: if it's humid where you are, you might need to use more flour
- Close the lid of your Instant Pot. Turn the valve to a sealing position.
- Press the Yogurt button and choose time of 1 hour. You need a model of Instant Pot that has this button.
- After one hour take the Instant Pot lid off. The dough should have at least doubled in size. It will be light and spongy.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- While the oven is preheating, form the rolls.
- grease a 13x9" pan with oil or butter/
- if you like coat your hands lightly in vegetable oil, it will help with the dough not sticking to your hands.
- Take a little bit of dough and flatten it slightly, now imagine you are wrapping something inside that dough by stretching all the edges around it like a balloon.
- Place the ball seam side down onto the prepared pan.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough making 15 Dinner Rolls.
- Cover the pan with a kitchen towel and leave for 30 minutes to 1 hour for the rolls to rise in a warm place.( you can preheat your oven to 350*F after heated switch off the oven and place the tray with rolled dough in the oven to rise)
- Check the buns after 30 mins, brush the rolls with oil or butter.
- Bake in the fully preheated oven for 15 minutes until the rolls get golden brown in the middle rack of your oven
- NOTE: if it's humid where you are, you might need to bake for 18- 20 minutes.
As with all yeast doughs, I never use the flour amount called for in the recipe as a hard fast rule. Because humidity, temperature, altitude and a multitude of other factors can impact how much flour you need in your yeast doughs, I always judge when to quit adding flour by the texture and look and feel of the dough rather than how much flour I’ve added compared to the recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast,0.25 Ounce, 3 Count
Hodgson Mill Vital Wheat Gluten 6.5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 8), For Higher Rise, Soft Textured Breads, with Vitamin C, Non-GMO, Kosher
13 x 9” Rectangular Baking Pans Quick Release Bakeware Tray Brownie Loaf Pan with Nonstick Coating Round Edges Heatproof Stainless Steel for Beginners Professionals - eBook Included