Healthy stir fry noodles contain a full serving of veggies along with plenty of protein. But just because they are healthy, it doesn’t mean they are without flavor. Far from it! These stir fried noodles are a hit with a deliciously sweet, salty, and slightly spicy flavor. And they come together quickly, making this the perfect weeknight dinner to feed a hungry brood!
Come JOIN US on our FACEBOOK group and be a part of our community and discuss various recipes, tips and tricks.
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES
Are stir fry noodles healthy?
Stir fry noodles have a healthy mix of veggies, protein, fat, and carbs. Our stir fry recipe includes everything you need to make a balanced, healthy meal in a matter of minutes.
You can even save some time if you use pre-cut veggies, but really it won’t take long to cut up what you need.
How is stir fry noodles different from Lo mein or Chow mein or Pad Thai
Stir fried noodles are very similar to chow mein. Chow mein translates roughly into stir-fried noodles. Traditionally, the noodles are par-boiled and fully cooked once added to the wok.
Lo mein translates roughly to stirred noodles. The noodles are fully cooked and then mixed with the other ingredients and sauces before serving.
They are very similar, but lo mein tends to be a bit saucier while chow mein is a bit drier. Both are traditional Chinese dishes that can use different noodles, veggies, and proteins.
Pad thai is another type of stir fried noodle. They originate from Thailand. They often contain peanuts, peanut butter, and lime juice. Similar to lo mein and chow mein, the noodles and veggies can often vary between recipes, making them very versatile.
Stir Fry Noodles Ingredients
Here is what you need to make a healthy stir fry at home:
- Stir Fry sauce - You can make your own following our recipe or use your preferred brand.
- Sesame oil - You could use a different oil, but sesame adds a nice flavor to the stir fry.
- Aromatics - You’ll want to have both ginger and garlic and mince both of them.
- Extra firm tofu - You’ll need to press and cube the tofu so it is ready to heat up in the rice noodle stir fry.
- Vegetables - You’ll need 2 cups of mixed veggies that include sliced onions, whole green beans, carrots cut into matchsticks, broccoli florets, beansprouts, and chopped scallions or shallots.
- Vegetable broth - You could use water if you prefer.
- Noodles - You could make a noodle stir fry with barilla spaghetti no 3. or make a rice noodle stir fry using rice noodles.
How to make stir fry noodles
When you want to make this stir fry noodles recipe, you’ll need to follow these easy steps:
- First, cook the noodles as per the instructions on the package and set them aside.
- Next, prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl and then set it aside.
- Once the noodles and sauce are ready, heat the oil in a wok.
- When the oil has heated, add the ginger garlic, onions, and the broth or water. Give it all a good stir.
- Add in the onions and tofu and then stir fry for a minute.
- Next, add the broccoli florets and stir fry for another minute.
- Then, add carrots and green beans and stir fry for another minute.
- Next add the noodles, bean sprouts, and the sauce and stir fry for one more minute and you’re done.
- Finally, garnish with green onions.
Pro Tips to make the best stir fried noodles
When you want to make the best stir fried noodles, you will want to follow these pro tips and tricks:
- For an authentic flavor and taste, use rice noodles, but if you can’t find these Barilla no 3 will work great too.
- Mix and match more veggies for added flavors and nutrients.
- If you don’t love tofu, you can skip it altogether or try different methods to cook it beforehand for added flavor.
- Use firm or extra firm tofu so it stays together when you cook it.
When we make this stir fry noodles recipe, we use either rice noodles or Barilla spaghetti no 3. Both work great for the noodles stir fry.
If you find your noodles are sticking, you can try adding either more sauce or additional oil. This will help keep the noodles from sticking together.
When you make stir fry noodles, the veggies can make a big difference in flavor and textures. Here are some of our favorites to add: sliced onions, whole green beans, carrots cut into matchsticks, broccoli florets, beansprouts, and chopped scallions or shallots. You can add these or others to make the best stir fry noodles recipe for you and your family.
We love making stir fry and have made our own sauce. It is spicy, sweet, and salty, making it the perfect companion for this noodle stir fry.
If you know you are going to be busy, you may want to get the veggies prepped ahead of time. To do this, chop up the different veggies you want and then place them in an airtight container. They should last about 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
Once the stir fry noodles have cooled, scoop or scrap them into an airtight container and then place them in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days. We don’t recommend freezing them.
To reheat, you can toss them over medium heat in the wok until warmed through. Don’t have a wok? You can place them in the microwave for a few minutes to warm them through.
Other delicious noodle recipes
Once you’ve tried these healthy noodles, you’ll want to check out these other noodle dishes:
Let us know what you think
- Stir Fry sauce
- sesame oil 2 tablespoon
- ginger minced 1 teaspoon
- garlic minced 1 teaspoon
- extra firm tofu pressed and cubed ½ cup
- 2 packed cups vegetables (sliced onions, whole green beans, carrots cut into matchsticks, broccoli florets, beansprouts, chopped scallions or shallots)
- broth / water ¼ cups
- barilla spaghetti no 3. or rice noodles 2.5 oz.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.