It’s time to make the donuts! Vegan air fryer donuts can be yours in 15 minutes! Yes, this air fryer donut recipe takes to make most dinners, so there really is no reason not to air fry up these tasty treats as a quick snack or a fun dessert. And since you can top them with sprinkles (or your favorite toppings) it is a great way to get the kids involved in cooking.
Come JOIN US on our FACEBOOK group and be a part of our community and discuss various recipes, tips and tricks.
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES
Are air fryer donuts good?
The air fryer creates a similar texture to deep fried or pan fried foods but with a fraction of the fat involved. You may notice a slight difference, but the savings of calories and lighter flavor will be well worth it.
And, if we’re being honest, the air fryer is now our preferred method of making a donut. It is just as fast as deep frying and is half the mess and clean up.
Since you can top them with the same great ingredients, you’ll still love the flavor of a vegan air fryer donut.
Ingredients to make Air Fryer Donuts
When you make this air fryer donuts recipe, you’ll need:
- Self rising flour - You can use your preferred brand or make your own if you prefer.
- Thick vegan yogurt - You could sub in a non-vegan yogurt as long as it is thicker.
- Baking powder - Don’t sub in baking soda, it will cause the vegan donuts to have an odd taste.
- Margarine or melted vegan butter - If you don’t want to make these vegan, you can use butter instead.
Also, you’ll need these ingredients for the glaze for donut in the air fryer:
- Powdered sugar - You do not want to use granulated because it will create a gritty glaze.
- Sprinkles - You can use your favorite colors or designs.
Finally, you’ll also need these ingredients for a chocolate glaze to top these air fryer donuts:
- Vegan chocolate chips - If you are not keeping this vegan, you can use a different type of chocolate chip.
How to make Air Fryer Donuts
When you want a great tasting vegan air fryer donut in 15 minutes, follow these easy steps:
- First, add the flour, yogurt, baking powder, and melted butter to a large bowl. Next, combine the ingredients to make a thick, sticky dough.
- Lightly flour the counter top and transfer the dough on it and then knead it gently until smooth. You do not want to overwork the dough or else the donut will turn out hard and dense.
- Next, divide the dough into 4 parts. Roll out each portion into a long line and then connect both sides to form a donut (round) shape. Alternatively, you could roll the dough into a ¼ inch thick sheet and then use a large round cookie cutter to cut the round shape and use a bottle cap to cut the inside of the circle to give it a donut shape.
- Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper and then place the 4 donuts in the basket.
- Air fry at 400 F for 5 to 8 minutes and then allow the donuts to completely cool before glazing the donuts.
- As they cook, you can prepare the glaze by adding the powdered sugar and water to a bowl and then mixing it well until you get a thick smooth glaze.
- For the vegan chocolate glaze, you will want to melt the chocolate chips in a microwave, stirring at 30 second intervals, and then dip the donuts in the chocolate glaze.
- Finally, dip each donut in the glaze and place them on a wire rack and top it with sprinkles.
Pro Tips to make the best air fryer donuts
When you make this air fryer donut recipe, make sure to use these tips and tricks for best results:
- Do not overwork the dough when kneading or the donuts will become dense and hard.
- Use parchment paper to help the donuts not stick and to reduce mess.
- When placing donuts in the air fryer basket, do not allow them to touch or get too close.
Doughnuts and donuts are the same thing, they are just two different ways of spelling the pastry. Either refers to a leavened, sweet pastry that you top with glazes, sprinkles, powdered sugar, and many other toppings that you may like.
When you follow our air fryer donut recipe, you will need to set your air fryer to 400 F and then cook them for 5 to 8 minutes.
If you prefer, you can bake the donuts in the oven. To do this, preheat the oven to 350 F and then bake for 10 to 12 minutes on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
If you don’t have self-rising flour, you can make your own. To do this, add 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder and ¼ teaspoon of fine salt to every cup of all-purpose flour. Following this formula, you can make as much as you need.
Once the air fryer donuts have cooled, you can store them at room temperature in an airtight container. You may want to give each a bit of room so they don’t stick together when storing. Or you can place a sheet of parchment paper between layers of donuts.
Other recipes to check out
Once you’ve made these tasty air fryer donuts, you will want to check out some of these other great tasting recipes:
Let us know what you think
- Self rising flour 70 gms
- Thick Vegan yogurt ¼ cup
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Margarine or melted vegan butter 1 tbsp
Ingredients for the glaze
- Powdered sugar 1 cup
- Water 1 tbsp
Ingredients for a chocolate glaze
- Vegan chocolate chips 1 cup
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Gourmia GAF400 Electric Multipurpose Classic Rapid Air Fryer with Dual Dial Timer & Temperature Controls, 10 Cup/4.5 Qt. Capacity, 1230W, Black
GoWISE USA 1700-Watt 5.8-QT 8-in-1 Digital Air Fryer and 50 Recipes for your Air Fryer Book (Black)
Instant Pot Vortex 6-Quart 4-in-1 Air Fryer
Instant Vortex Plus 10 Quart Air Fryer, Rotisserie and Convection Oven, Air Fry, Roast, Bake, Dehydrate and Warm, 1500W, Stainless Steel and Black