Instant Pot Lemon Rice, is bursting with lemony flavors and is incredible versatile and easy to make. Enjoy it as a side or make it you base to serve your favorite proteins. Just 5 ingredients and 6 minutes is all your need to turn your rice into an exotic dish. Stove top to and Rice Cooker recipe available. Vegan and Gluten-Free.
Lately we have been consuming a lot more rice than our staple rotis. Why you ask ??? We are waiting for out kitchen to be delivered and fitted. Never heard of that before! Well it’s an EU thing apparently. Most homes don’t come with a fitted kitchen unlike the US or India or Australia, some of the countries I have lived in.
So this was all new to me. Kitchens just come with 4 wall and plumbing, you everybody designs their own kitchen and it takes four to 8 weeks for the kitchen to be delivered and fitted. Our’s was to be fitted 2 weeks ago, however because of the Easter holidays, our scheduled delivery is end of May.
So if you are wondering how I ( a food blogger) am functioning, well we are literally surviving on our temporary kitchen, which has a 50 cm refrigerator and a 50 cm sink with 2 hot plates. Honestly I have no clue how would I have survived without my Instant Pot these last few months. I literally used it for almost everything. Even to make tea which I would have never thought.
So going back to why we have been consuming a lot more rice than the staple rotis, because obviously I don’t have the space to roll my dough etc. That’s the reason you have been seeing a lot more rice recipes lately. After the Turmeric Rice, Lentils and Rice, Vegan Burrito Bowl, it’s time for Lemon Rice.
This lemon rice comes together very easily. No fancy ingredients but packed with flavors. Basmati Rice, lemon juice, turmeric, garlic salt, dried basil, fresh parsley, olive oil and water is all your need to make this rice. It is sure to tantalize your taste buds with it’s lemony flavors. This rice makes an awesome side dish on the dinner table when served with yogurt or a perfect base to serve those kabobs. Little A enjoys it as is with some homemade yogurt.
We have a invitation for a BBQ this weekend and I am making this rice to go with all the grilled veggies and falafels. This rice is vegan and gluten-free. Although I have made it in the Instant Pot, I have also shared the stove top and rice cooker recipe below.
How to make Lemon Rice In Instant Pot.
I see so many people struggling to make perfect rice in their Instant Pots. If you follow our master recipe of How to make Perfect Rice Everytime, then you will realize that making rice in Instant Pot is the easiest thing ever. This lemon rice is a great way to turn your plain rice into a flavor packed rice. Here is a gist of what you do and the detailed recipe is in the recipe card below.
- First you heat the oil in the inner pot and toss in the basil and rice and cook until the rice changes it’s color.
- Then you add in the garlic salt, turmeric salt, lemon juice and water. 1:1 rice to water ratio.
- Cover the lid and pressure cook for 6 minutes and allow the pressure to naturally release.
- Once the pressure is release garnish with freshly chopped parsley and lemon wedges and serve warm.
What kind of Rice is best for Lemon Rice
Although you can use brown rice and jasmine rice to make lemon rice, I think the best results are with Basmati rice. Each grain is separate when cooked plus it’s lighter and fluffier. It’s also known to have a lower glycemic index compared to other rice. It also reheats beautifully without any lumps etc.
Can I use left over rice to make Lemon Rice
Yes you can certainly use that left over rice from last time. In this case all you need to do is, temper the rice in some oil along with the herbs and salt. The final texture will depend on the rice you cooked in the first place.
Can I make lemon rice on stove top or rice cooker
Yes. Follow the same recipe except that the rice to water ratio changes to 1: 1.5. 1 part rice, 1.5 parts water. Always remember to cover the lid and cook then cook the rice. If cooking on stove top it would take about 15 minutes or so to cook the rice. make sure you let the rice rest even after it’s cooked for atleast 10 minutes before you serve.
Why is my rice sticky?
If you don’t toast the rice in oil, the starch from the rice will make it sticky instead of each grain being distinct.
Why is my rice mushy?
You probably overcooked the rice. The rice to water ratio is a key here for the perfect al-dente rice.
Why is the bottom is the rice burnt?
If you follow this recipe, I can guarantee you won’t get a burn unless you mess up the rice to water ratio. Typically the burn notice on the Instant Pot means there was less moisture for the rice to cook. If cooking on a stove top, probably the heat was too high.
What to serve with Lemon Rice
- We like to pair if with our homemade yogurt
- Serve it as a base with your grilled proteins
- Pair it with a curry
- Stuff it in your pita pockets with some grilled veggies and tofu along with our Avocado Cilantro Dressing.
I bet, if you have tried and liked our other rice recipes How to make perfect rice every time, Turmeric Rice, Lentils and Rice, Vegan Burrito Bowl you will like this one too. So when you make this, don’t forget to take a picture and send it our way. Tag us on your Facebook or Instagram @dbellyrulesdmind
Instant Pot Instructions
- Press the Saute button and heat the inner pot. Once the inner pot is hot add the olive oil.
- Toss in the rice and dried basil and toast the rice until it changes color. Toasting the rice is important to avoid starchy lumpy rice.
- Add in the garlic salt, turmeric , lemon juice and water.
- Close the lid, seal the vent and pressure cook on for 6 minutes.
- Allow pressure to naturally release, this will take between 12-15 minutes.
- Garnish freshly chopped parsley and serve warm.
Stove top / Rice Cooker
Follow the same recipe except that the rice to water ratio changes to 1: 1.5. 1 part rice, 1.5 parts water. Always remember to cover the lid and cook then cook the rice. If cooking on stove top it would take about 15 minutes or so to cook the rice on medium heat. Make sure you let the rice rest even after it's cooked for atleast 10 minutes before you serve.
For best results, please refer to the notes through out the post
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
- Royal White Basmati Rice, 20 Pound
- McCormick Basil Leaves (Dried Basil), 5 oz
- McCormick Coarse Grind Garlic Salt With Parsley, 28 oz
- Bertolli 100% Pure Olive Oil Mild Taste
- Simply Organic Ground Turmeric Root | Certified Organic | 2.38 oz. (3 Pack)