Easy Mexican Instant Pot rice and beans makes a delicious and quick vegetarian lunch, dinner, or side dish. Loaded with the bold flavor of salsa and spices, this hearty dish is a delicious addition to taco night. This Mexican Instant Pot rice and beans recipe also would be the perfect base for a burrito or burrito bowl.
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
INSTANT POT RICE AND BEANS- THE PERFECT QUICK DISH
As the weather cools down and the school year is in full swing, I find myself wanting to trade lighter fare for food that feels more comforting and hearty. Yet, I want my comfort food to still be quick. After all, this time of year I feel like my time is at more of a premium than normal since I’m often busy with the general busyness of making sure my kids are where they need to be. So I need dishes that are fast and filling like this Mexican Instant Pot rice and beans. As I mentioned, my kids love this meal, and I couldn’t be more pleased! It gives them a great source of fiber, and it is very frugal.
This Recipe's Index
AUTHENTIC MEXICAN RICE AND BEANS IN THE INSTANT POT
Thinking you can’t recreate the authentic slow-cooked taste of Mexican rice and beans in your pressure cooking? Well, my friends, think again. With this Instant Pot rice and beans recipe, you get that slow-cooked, simmered all day on the stove taste in a fraction of the time thanks to the Instant Pot Ultra. Using the Instant Pot and the right combination of ingredients you absolutely can get that authentic Mexican rice and beans flavor combination that you’d enjoy at your local taqueria.
Some TIPS to make this super easy Beans And Rice full of flavor!
- Brown rice: I make this dish with fluffy and tender brown rice. And I highly recommend it! It has a nice chewy bite to it. This tasty grain contains a higher amount of fiber and keeps you full longer! In general, brown rice has a lot more to offer nutrient-wise.
- Black beans: Yep, I am also adding hearty and filling Black beans. It is such a nutrient-dense food and pairing protein-rich beans with grains makes it a complete protein source! Besides all that good stuff, they are my choice of legumes here because they have that beautiful creamy, earthy flavor. You can use dried beans, Make sure they are soaked overnight and dump them with the rice and they cook perfectly! But you really prefer using canned beans, go ahead.
- Chiptole salsa gives the rice that nice color and smoky spiciness. If you want to skip make sure you serve it with hot sauces of your choice so others can add more of a kick if they so choose.
- Tomatoes: traditionally Mexican rice calls for fresh tomatoes and you certainly can substitute them here—especially if you grow your own in your backyard this summer. However, I have used good quality organic canned diced tomatoes in this recipe.
PRO TIP TO AVOID A BURN NOTICE
- In any instant pot recipe that requires tomatoes, make sure the tomatoes, salsa or sauce does not touch the base of the instant pot, else you are likely to get a burn notice
HOW TO MAKE RICE AND BEANS IN AN INSTANT POT
Making authentic-tasting Mexican rice and beans in the Instant Pot is so easy! Don’t let all the buttons intimidate you. This recipe is a great beginner Instant Pot recipe. And if you find yourself unsure of anything check out our post called Is the Instant Pot Worth It, which is a complete beginner’s guide to the Instant Pot.
To make this easy Instant Pot beans and rice recipe, press the “saute” button and add the oil to the liner of the pot. Once the pot is hot add the chopped garlic cloves and onions. The garlic and onions will give the beans and rice a nice flavor base. Then, season them with salt and cumin and add the chipotle salsa. The chipotle salsa is key for the most authentic flavor. The chipotle adds smokiness and heat to the dish I really like. If you prefer things more on the mild side, feel free to substitute mild salsa instead.
Once you have added the salsa and the seasonings to your onions and garlic, give everything a stir. Then you can add your brown rice water. Last but not least add the diced tomato. Make sure you don’t stir after you add the tomatoes. You want the tomatoes on top so they don’t burn on the bottom. Then secure the lid and make sure the valve is sealed. Pressure cook for 20 mins. (Read notes if you like to add dried black beans)
If you prefer, you could use homemade black beans. We have a fabulous recipe that tells you everything you need to know about Instant Pot Dried Beans here.
When the pot beeps let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then do a quick release any additional pressure. Add the cooked black beans and fresh chopped cilantro mix everything together. Top it with any other toppings you want when you serve it.
CAN I USE DRIED BEANS IN THE RECIPE?
Of course, you don’t have to use black beans, you could also use pinto beans, kidney beans, or any other similar bean. We have a fabulous recipe that tells you everything you need to know about preparing Instant Pot Dried Beans here.
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF RICE?
When cooking rice in the Instant pot, one definitely has to consider a few things to get the perfect recipe. The brand of rice, the variety of rice and of course your personal preference with regards to consistency and the altitude. So my personal preference is perfectly cooked al dente rice, where each grain is separate. You can use Basmati Rice or jasmine rice but the time will change check this how to cook perfect basmati rice, jasmine rice, brown rice post to get the timing.
IS THE MEXICAN RICE AND BEANS RECIPE A GOOD OPTION FOR MEAL PREP?
Certainly, you can make the Mexican Rice and Beans ahead of time, put it in lunchboxes with a side of avocado, sour cream, and other toppings.
CAN YOU FREEZE BEANS AND RICE?
This Mexican rice and beans freeze well. Freeze in single-portion containers (this is the brand I use) for easy last-minute lunches, or freeze all at once in a large container. Place in the fridge to thaw at least 24 hours before you plan to use it. , but in a pinch, it can be thawed in the microwave or on the stove. You can freeze rice and beans for up to three months.
WHAT GOES WITH MEXICAN RICE AND BEANS RECIPE?
You have lots of options with Mexican rice and beans. You can eat this as is or top with your choice of toppings. I love serving it topped with:
- Fresh herbs like cilantro and parsley
- Chopped jalapenos
- Tortilla strips
- Shredded cheese
- Lime wedges
- Avocado or guacamole
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
You can also use this Mexican rice and beans to stuff inside a tortilla for a vegetarian burrito or use it in this vegan burrito bowl. And if you were having a Mexican night, you could serve it with this Tortilla Quinoa Soup.
Love this Easy Mexican Instant Pot Rice And Beans recipe? You would love the following Mexica recipes as well
Instant Pot Rice And Beans Recipe VideoDid you make this Instant pot Mexican Rice and beans recipe? Let me know how it turned out by ★★★★★ RATING this recipe and leave a comment below!!
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 (14 oz) diced tomato
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chipotle salsa ( add more , if needed)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- 4 garlic cloves/ minced
- cilantro for garnish
- Optional toppings: lime/ sour cream, tortilla chips, grated cheese, sliced avocado
- Press the "saute" button and once it is hot add the garlic and onions.
- Add the chipotle salsa, salt, and cumin powder and give it a stir.
- Add in the rice, water and lastly add the diced tomato. ( Do not stir after you add the tomatoes)
- Place the lid and make sure the valve is o Sealing. Pressure cook for 20 mins
- When the pot beeps let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then do a quick release any additional pressure.
- Add the black beans and chopped cilantro and mix everything well and serve it your choice topping.
If you wanted you could make this recipe with jasmine or basmati rice check out our Rice post for time and ratio.
If you want to use dried black beans make sure they are soaked for at least 8 hours. (add the soaked dried beans with the rice)
To make this recipe without the canned tomatoes add 2 medium tomatoes (finely chopped)
You can replace water with vegetable broth
You can freeze rice and beans for up to three months. Place in the fridge to thaw at least 24 hours before you plan to use it. These are my favorite freezer-safe glass containers.
Let the beans and rice cool before freezing. Don’t fill to the top of your freezer-safe container, as the food will expand when it freezes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Pyrex 3-Cup Rectangle Food Storage Container (Value Pack of 6 Containers)
- 365 Everyday Value, Organic Black Beans, 16 oz
- 365 Everyday Value, Salsa Chipotle Roasted Organic, 16 Ounce
- Mahatma Organic Brown Rice, 2 lb.
- Mealthy MultiPot 9-in-1 Programmable Slow and Pressure Cooker - Mealthy.com
- Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
Serving Size:4-6 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 252mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 7gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g