Looking for an easy tea sandwich recipe for your next tea party? These small finger sandwiches are delicious & perfect for those who are health conscious. Packed with veggies and low-fat yogurt, these make an elegant appetizer for any party, sure to impress a crowd. Enjoy them for breakfast, snack or pack them in the lunchbox, they are always a hit!
This recipe had been updated with new images and content on July 16th, 2019.
It was high time, I updated this recipe. Especially now after relocating to Germany, where German’s take their tea as seriously as their coffee and beer. There is dedicated tea time in the day and there is a tea for literally everything. Pregnancy, feeling gloomy, under the weather, sip some tea! Back in the US, I had given up on my afternoon tea, but here I have picked it up back again.
So now that I am sipping some tea, ofcourse I need some finger sandwiches too, thus the easy tea sandwich recipe today :)
Easy Tea Sandwich
Although there are lots of tea sandwich recipes online, it’s always hard to find something vegetarian and not loaded with butter and cream cheese. So I go back to my mom’s recipe that I used to enjoy as a kid. Here is why you will love this easy tea sandwich recipe.
Of course it’s super duper easy
Packed with colorful veggies
Made with low-fat greek yogurt
Made using healthier whole-grain bread
No soggy sandwiches
Can be made ahead of time
Can be packed for kids lunch
These bites are delicious!!!
Finger Sandwich Ingredients
These bite sizes finger sandwiches might look fancy but are made with very simple ingredients.
Wholegrain Bread – Did you know that Germans have more bakeries and eat more varieties of bread than most other countries in the world. So I typically go to the farmers market to get a freshly baked wholegrain bread. Typically tea sandwiches are made on white sandwich bread, so you can use white bread too, but I like to pack some nutrition every opportunity I get, so I go with the whole grain bread.
Vegetables – I love how this sandwich is so colorful and packed with phytonutrients. So I like to add veggies that don’t lose too much water, so I don’t have to worry about the sandwiches becoming soggy. My favorites are carrots, purple cabbage, beets, bell peppers, and spinach. As much as I would love to add cucumbers or zucchini, I refrain from adding them if I know the sandwiches won’t be consumed immediately.
Spread – For the spread, I like to skip the traditional cream cheese and use a thick low-fat Greek yogurt with all its whey removed. Removing the whey from the yogurt is very important as it prevents the sandwich from getting soggy. You can either use homemade yogurt (click here for homemade yogurt recipe) or store-bought yogurt and remove its whey by scooping all the yogurt into a cheesecloth or strainer for minimum 2 hours. It’s super thick and spread just like cream cheese.
Herbs – Although I haven’t used any herbs the addition of basil, mint, dill or any Italian seasonings will only enhance the flavor.
Making these tea sandwiches is super easy too.
Removing the whey from the yogurt. Mixing the yogurt and vegetable for each layer. Making the green avocado cilantro chutney or any green dressing or green chutney that is thick enough to be spread. Lastly the assembly or the sandwich.
Step 1 – Gather the ingredients. Shred the veggies. Strain the yogurt. Prep the green spread in your mixer. You could trim the edges of the bread if you like or use the whole slice bread.
Step 2 – Take two separate bowls and mix the yogurt with carrots and purple cabbage respectively. Add salt and black pepper.
Step 3 – Take four slices for each sandwich. Spread a layer of carrots on one. Purple cabbage on the second and the green chutney on the third. If you are adding herbs to your sandwich add them at this point.
Step 4 – Stack them one above the other and then cut the sandwich diagonally to give you two sandwiches. If you want the sandwiches to be smaller you could cut the sandwich one more time diagonally to get four smaller bite-size sandwiches.
Serve in a platter or plate. Relish these delicious bites.
Can Tea Sandwiches be made ahead of time?
Yes, these tea sandwiches can be prepared up to a day ahead, and refrigerated in an airtight container. I have made them fgor several parties. To prevent the bread from drying out, cover the sandwiches with a sheet of wax paper and a damp paper towel. Uncover sandwiches just before serving.
How do you keep tea sandwiches from getting soggy?
The trick is to use strained yogurt and veggies that don’t loose a lot of water.
If you are packing these sandwiches for in a lunchbox. You can pair it with
More lunchbox ideas using veggies
Hope you consider trying this recipe and when you do, don’t forget to come back and leave us a comment or tag us on Instagram @dbellyrulesdmind.
- Gather the ingredients. Shred the veggies. Strain the yogurt. Prep the green spread in your mixer. You could trim the edges of the bread if you like or use the whole slice bread.
- Take two separate bowls and mix half the yogurt with carrots and purple cabbage respectively. Add salt and black pepper.
- Take four slices for one whole sandwich. Spread a layer of carrots on one. Purple cabbage on the second and the green chutney on the third. If you are adding herbs to your sandwich add them at this point.
- Stack the slices one above the other and then cut the sandwich diagonally to give you two sandwiches from one whole sandwich. This will yield you 6 half size sandwiches. If you want the sandwiches to be smaller you could cut the sandwich one more time diagonally to get four smaller bite size sandwiches. This will yield you 12 mini bite size sandwiches.
- Serve in a platter or plate. Relish these delicious bites.
Please refer to the post for notes.
- Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
- Mealthy MultiPot 9-in-1 Programmable Slow and Pressure Cooker - Mealthy.com
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.