Sugar-Free Homemade Almond & Dates Energy Bars -When cravings attack, it can be tempting to reach for something greasy or sweet, but neither is friendly to your health or waistline. For a healthy alternative, grab these sugar-free energy bars to help satisfy hunger and boost energy between meals. High in protein and fiber. This super-food energy bar recipe is 100% kid approved and the perfect wholesome snack recipe. Easy, nutritious and much less expensive than the store-bought bars.
This post was originally published in Feb 2016 and has been updated with new content and images*
Homemade Energy Bars
I know you don’t want to spend all day in the kitchen, especially when the weather gets warm! There are plenty of healthy snacks that you don’t need to cook or bake. These homemade energy bars are super healthy, do not contain any refined sugar and can be made in under 15 minutes. Kids love it and it does not take a whole lot of effort to make them; a win-win. You ensure that your kids get the energy they need and in one of the most convenient, cost-effective and healthy ways!
I remember that my mom used to soak almonds and give it to me and my brother when we were kids. Till DATE :) she does the same thing whenever she visits us in the US and gives it to all of us (SR3). Whenever I am talking to her on the phone and I forget my chain of thought, I get to hear this from her … “Kitni bar bola hai .. badam bhigo kar subhe khaya kar aur baccho ko bhi de” .. which translates to ” How many times do I need to remind you to soak almonds at night, peel them and have them in the morning? And while you are at it, give it your kids as well” and :P I still forget to do so :D.
HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS
There are many energy bars that are marketed as helpful for weight loss, but because they contain sugar and other unhealthy ingredients, they actually contribute to weight gain. This healthy Bar recipe contains no sugar, loaded with fiber and a whole lot of goodness from Almonds!
How to grind Nuts and Seeds?
I avoid buying any nuts/ seeds pre-ground since the healthy fats start to break down immediately after they are exposed to air. It’s better to buy your nuts whole and grind them as needed. Grinding your own nuts/ seeds is so very easy. Simply place it in our WonderMixer meat grinder and push the button. Voila! You have the energy bar mixer ready!
Nutrients in Almonds
Nutritionists and health gurus consistently rate almonds as one of the top super-foods. Certainly, they are good for your heart, brain, and every other organ. Moreover, they are loaded with the right fats, vitamins, and minerals. Almonds are actually the most nutritionally dense nut, meaning they offer the highest concentration of overall nutrients per calorie and per ounce.
What are the benefits of eating dates?
Dates are a great food to include in your family diet as they are a great source of potassium and other minerals. Dates are so sweet and provide the perfect natural alternative to added sugars in any date recipe. In fact, dates are such a great source of natural sugar, they are processed to make natural sweeteners. Options such as date sugar, dehydrated dates, date paste, ground dates, and even diced dates that you can add to recipes you want to sweeten up naturally. Do check out our Sugar-Free Date and walnut loaf cake. and Rice Pudding. They are higher in calories than other fruit which is great for fussy/picky eaters, as they can pack a lot of energy into a small amount of food.
I make these energy bars frequently and keep them handy for my R2 and R3 when they go for their swim meets. Also, they are the perfect healthy treat to have when you are watching what you are eating! Making energy bars at home lets you control the ingredients and they’re cheaper than purchased energy bars.
Still wondering the reason behind soaking, peeling, and drying of the nuts??
Raw almonds have a protective coating on them making them potentially disruptive to our digestive system. Soaking and drying help make them more digestible.
How to Blanch almonds?
- Place raw, unsalted almonds in a bowl.
Pour boiling water over the almonds, and let them sit in the boiling water for few minutes.
- Rinse them under COLD water.
- Rub the almonds with your fingers or Pinch them, and the skin will peel off easily.
- That’s it! Let almonds dry completely, then keep in a covered container until ready to use for making things like almond butter, almond flour and for use in other recipes.
You can wrap each one individually in wax paper for putting in lunch for your family. You can use a cute sticker to seal them for kids lunches!
It is great for before or after a workout too :D
Don’t forget to check out our other No-Bake energy bar Recipes!
If you liked our healthy homemade bar, you would like the following posts
- 20 Healthy Sweet Snacks for the Sweet Tooth
- 20 Healthy road trip Snacks!
- Air Frier Apple Chips
- Air Fried Plantain Chips
Homemade Energy Bar Recipe
- 1 cup raw almonds /soaked /peeled
- 1&1/2 cups Organic dates/pitted
- ½ cup shredded coconut/desiccated /unsweetened
- Place all the ingredients into food processor or high powered blender.
- Blend until they are crushed and slightly sticky. It will become a sticky lump with most of it stuck together when you will press it with your hand.
- Remove it in a plate , press it till it forms a square. Keep it in the fridge for an hour, cut in in small square.keep it in a air tight container.
- You can also roll them in to balls for easy consumption.
- WonderMix Kitchen Mixer - German Design Bread Dough Mixer Machine - Electric Stand Mixer with Bonus Heavy Duty Blender and Attachments High Capacity Bread Mixer
- Blue Diamond Almonds, Raw Whole Natural, 25 Ounce
- Organic Medjool Dates, 2 Pounds
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.