Instant Pot white bean soup is a tasty, comforting soup that is ready in less than a half hour. The perfect cold weather dish, this wholesome recipe will satisfy your family. It’s also a great excuse to make homemade bread or pick some at the grocery store.
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES
This Recipe's Index
Easy White Bean Soup Recipe
Easy white bean soup recipe uses the Instant Pot and a few minor shortcuts to keep this recipe simple. Rather than waiting for beans to cook, we used canned beans. This allows us to cut the cook time down to just 1 minute.
Also, you won’t have to spend a lot of time chopping veggies. You can get the soup ready in less than 10 minutes, which means you will have more time to do other things.
What makes this the best white bean soup?
Our recipe is super easy to follow and make any night of the week. WIth minimal chopping and a short cook time, you can get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
And one of the many reasons we love it is that we get to use our Instant Pot. So in addition to being fast, it is a very convenient, one pot meal.
White Bean Soup Instant Pot Ingredients
When making this easy white bean soup in the Instant Pot, this is what you’ll need:
- Olive Oil - You can use your preferred oil.
- Veggies - You’ll need white onion, carrots, celery stalks, garlic, fresh kale or spinach, and diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes.
- Cannellini Beans - We used canned white beans, but you can use any variety of pre-cooked white beans.
- Vegetable Broth - You can use a different broth if you prefer.
- Salt - You can omit or add to taste.
- Seasonings - This soup uses both Italian seasoning and optional red chili flakes.
How to make Vegetarian White Bean Soup
- First, heat the oil on 'sauté' mode on high in the Instant Pot.
- Next, add the garlic, onion, carrots, and celery to the Instant Pot and sauté for about 3 minutes or until they start to soften some.
- When ready, add in the diced or crushed tomatoes, white beans, broth, Italian seasoning, salt, and red chili flakes and then give it a nice stir.
- Next, securely lock the pressure cooker's lid and set for 1 minute on 'High' pressure.
- After the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally.
- Carefully open the pot and then stir in the kale or spinach. Next, close the lid and let rest for 5 minutes to wilt the kale.
- Finally, serve it hot with our Ciabatta bread or crusty French baguette , breadsticks or dinner rolls.
Pro tips and tricks
When you make this recipe, make sure to follow these tips and tricks for the best results:
- If you use dry beans, make sure to soak and cook them first. They will not cook in this recipe as written!
- Add the kale or spinach at the end. The pressure will disintegrate the leafy green if you put it in before the end.
- Serve with your favorite bread, rolls, or breadsticks.
What is a good seasoning for white beans?
White beans can taste great with a lot of different flavors. For white bean soup, the traditional flavor is Italian seasoning.
If you don’t have an Italian seasoning bottle, you could use combinations of:
- Black pepper
How can I make my beans more flavorful?
This white bean soup will add plenty of flavor to the beans, so you won’t need to add much else to the soup.
If you want to add more flavor, you could toss the beans with seasonings like salt, pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, thyme, or rosemary. These will join the rest of the soup when cooking, but adding more seasoning can increase the flavors some.
Do white beans have to be soaked before cooking?
In our soup, we use a shortcut of canned cannellini beans. These do not need to be soaked prior to using them.
This soup only cooks for 1 minute, which means adding dry, raw beans will not work. You will have to precook them. Typically, when you cook beans, you will need to rinse them several times and soak them for about 30 minutes to 1 hour before cooking for about 30 to 40 minutes in the Instant Pot..
What is the thickener in a white bean soup?
The starch from the beans helps to thicken the soup. You shouldn’t need anything to thicken the soup, but if you do, you can mix equal parts flour and cool water and then whisk it into the soup. This slurry can help thicken soup in a pinch.
What to put in beans to prevent gas?
There are three ways to help reduce gas in beans. The first method, which this soup uses, is to cook them in the Instant Pot. The extreme heat helps to break up the sugars that cause gas.
Another method is to soak the beans for at least a half hour. This works with raw, dry beans and is not necessary when using canned beans.
Finally, you can add a small amount of baking soda to help reduce gas from eatin beans.
What to serve with this recipe for white bean soup?
White bean soup practically begs to be soaked up with bread. Some of our favorites include:
You can also use your favorite bakery bread if you prefer.
This soup makes a great meal on a cool day or an excellent appetizer for an Italian dinner, like our cacio -e -pepe pasta .
How to store and reheat White Bean Soup
You should store white bean soup in the fridge. To store, first allow the soup to cool before pouring it into an airtight container. Once in the container, you can store the soup for up to 5 days in the fridge.
To reheat, you can pour it back into the Instant Pot and saute until it warms through or place it in a pot on the stove to reheat.
For individual servings, you can place it a bowl and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or until warmed through.
Does Instant Pot White Bean Soup freeze well?
This soup can freeze well. To freeze, allow the soup to cool and then ladle into a freezer safe container. You can then place the soup in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Allow the soup to thaw before reheating over medium low heat on the stove top.
Other soup recipes
Soup is a great meal on a cool or cold day. If you want some great ideas of soups you can serve your family, here are some of our favorites:
- Minestrone soup
- Sopa de fideo
- Broccoli cheddar soup
- Wild rice mushroom soup
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Sopa de lentejas
If you love soup, you should try some of our other soups.
Make it, tag it!
If you make this white bean soup recipe, Don’t forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating. We would be THRILLED if you would take a pic and tag us on Instagram @dbellyrulesdmind or Facebook @thebellyrulesthemind
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil, or preferred oil
- 1 medium White Onion -chopped
- 2 large Carrots- chopped
- 2 large Celery Stalks - diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 28 oz can Diced Tomatoes or Crushed Tomatoes, don't drain
- 2 15 oz cans Cannellini Beans (or any cooked white beans), drained and rinsed
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth, or any broth
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes, optional
- 3 cups Kale (or Spinach), fresh
- Heat oil on 'sauté' high.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrots, celery in the instant pot and sauté about 3 minutes.
- Next add in the diced or crushed tomatoes, white beans,
broth, Italian seasoning, salt, and red chili flakes. Give it a nice stir.
- Securely lock the pressure cooker's lid and set for 1 minutes on 'High'.
- Let the pressure release naturally.
- Carefully open the pot and stir in kale or spinach and
close lid and rest for 5 minutes to wilt the kale.
- Serve it hot with your choice of fixing (any Italian Bread)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.